World’s first-ever Online B.Sc. Degree | UPSC
Union HRD Minister virtually launches World’s first-ever Online B.Sc. Degree in Programming and Data Science
WHY IN NEWS:
First-ever online degree by an IIT to democratize quality education by removing barriers; Applicants can be from any discipline
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Education
For PRELIMS look out for the whole course parameters and objective of such courses . If data science is a new concept to you . Let us dive in to explore more possibilities !
For MAINS do you think such courses should be launched in Door Darshan network too ? If yes how such programs should be hosted ?
ONLINE B.SC. DEGREE IN PROGRAMMING AND DATA SCIENCE
- The programme has been prepared and offered by the Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT Madras).
- IIT Madras is ranked No.1 in India Rankings 2020 by NIRF.
- This programme is open to anyone who has passed Class XII, with English and Maths at the Class X level, and enrolled in any on-campus UG course.
- Graduates and working professionals can also take up this programme.
- Even employers who want to upskill their employeescan consider this option without loss of productive time on the job.
- Data Science is one of the fastest growing sectors that is predicted to create 11.5 million jobs by 2026.
- Online education is a trend being rapidly embraced for high quality education on a large scale.
- Data science is an inter-disciplinary field that uses scientific methods, processes, algorithms and systems to extract knowledge and insights from many structural and unstructured data.
Sources : datascience.berkeley.edu
AIM OF THE COURSE
- Faculty from IIT Madras are addressing the need of this sector using online education processes and present an inclusive and affordable education model that will extend IIT’s reach by orders of magnitude.
- The programme will be delivered on a state-of-the-art online portal and will attract learners from even remote parts of India .
- At places where outreach of digital literacy is minimal and will help them stay ahead in their career journeys.
- This unique offering removes all barriers of age, discipline or geographic location and provides access to a world-class curriculum in data science which is in huge demand for skilled professionals.
- Students and professionals have to continue to upgrade their knowledge to stay competitive .
ONLINE COURSE WILL BE OFFERED IN THREE DIFFERENT STAGES
- Foundational Programme
- Diploma Programme
- Degree Programme.
- At each stage, students will have the freedom to exit from the program and receive a Certificate, Diploma or a Degree, respectively, from IIT Madras.
Based on the eligibility, interested candidates will have to fill a form and pay a nominal fee of Rs. 3,000 for the qualifier exam.
- Learners will get access to the 4 weeks of course content of 4 subjects (Mathematics, English, Statistics and Computational Thinking).
- These students will go through the course lectures online, submit online assignments and write an in-person qualifier exam at the end of 4 weeks.
- The program will hone students’ skills in managing data, visualizing patterns to gain managerial insights, model uncertainties and build models that assist in producing forecasts to make effective business decisions.
- Institutions such as IIT Madras have the vision and mission to help the nation move forward on its path to self-reliance in India.
- Even during this challenging time, when the nation is fighting the COVID-19 pandemic and everyone is forced to be at home, the IITs have come together to innovate for the sake of the nation.