Table of Contents Hide
World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) Forum 2021 | UPSC
MOS Telecom Shri Sanjay Dhotre represents India at the World Summit on Information Society Forum 2021
WHY IN NEWS:
“India leveraging Information Communication Technologies (ICTs) to Bridge Digital Divides”: Shri Sanjay Dhotre
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 2:3: Forums : Summits : Information and Technology
Information Society Forum 2021
The World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) Forum 2021 represents one of the world’s largest annual gathering of the ‘ICT for development’ community.
- The forum also promotes inclusive economic growth and stimulation of the national economies to meet the larger objectives of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- The Agenda and Programme of the Forum will be built on the basis of the submissions received during the Open Consultation Process.
- Furthermore, the 2021 WSIS Forum will provide an opportunity to serve as a platform to track the achievements of WSIS Action Lines in collaboration with the UN Agencies involved.
- It will also provide information and analyses of the implementation of WSIS Action Lines since 2005.
- The forum has proven to be an efficient mechanism for coordination of multi- stakeholder implementation activities, information exchange and creation of knowledge.
- The forum also shares the best practices and continues to provide assistance in developing multi-stakeholder and public/private partnerships to advance development goals.
- This Forum will provide structured opportunities to network, learn and participate in multi-stakeholder discussions and consultations on WSIS implementation.
- The Open Consultation Process will include a collection of inputs from regional and national WSIS related events.
- The WSIS Forum programme is completely crowdsourced, the engagement of governments, civil society, the private sector, academia, the technical community and intergovernmental organizations in the preparatory process ensures broad ownership and continual improvements of the Forum.
- The Agenda and Programme for the Forum is built on the basis of official submissions received during the Open Consultation Process on Shaping the Themes and Format of WSIS Forum 2021.
- This will bolster efforts towards bridging the digital divides in many developing regions of the world and meeting SDGs.
- ICTs have come to define our worlds and, as such, are no longer solely the purview of a younger demographic, but rather, they connect organically to the Silver Economy – the products and services that are designed specifically for the needs and desires of an older demographic.
- From healthcare to banking, retail to transportation, education to entertainment, older persons are established end users of these new technologies.
SUGGESTED READING : https://www.itu.int/net4/wsis/forum/2021/en