World Solar Technology Summit
ISA to showcase state of the art, next generation technologies at the First World Solar Technology Summit next month
WHY IN NEWS:
Prime Minister Narendra Modi to grace the inaugural to be attended by Ministers of all ISA Member Countries and Global Institutions
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: International Solar Alliance (ISA)
For PRELIMS it is important to go through the aim , objective and key players in this initiative .
For MAINS go through the significance and relevant SDG’s .
WORLD SOLAR TECHNOLOGY SUMMIT
- The objective of the event is to bring the spotlight on state-of-the-art technologies as well as next-generation technologies.
- This will provide impetus to the efforts towards harnessing the solar energy more efficiently.
- These can be commercially made available to all parts of the world for the wider consumption.
- The event will hold four technical sessions that would be available in English, Spanish, French & Arabic.
First World Solar Technology Summit being organized by ISA on a virtual platform on September 08, 2020.
ISA Assembly and Union Minister of State for Power and New & Renewable Energy (IC) and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship.
- The event will drive the necessary growth of solar energy around the world through innovations.
- The First World Solar Technology Summit will help identify technologies that can ramp up solar deployment at an affordable cost.
- Further, mutual co-operation among the member countries has been the pillar of the solar PV revolution.
- The ISA envisions to enable the full ecosystem for availability and development of technology.
- It also focuses on economic resources, storage technology, mass manufacturing and innovation.
- The reduced cost of technology would enable the undertaking of more ambitious solar energy programmes.
- Successful project implementation could play significant role in achieving the universal energy access goal (SDG 7).
VISION 2030 & BEYOND
- The overall context of PV technology development and its future, on its way towards becoming the first source of energy worldwide.
- With PV technologies supplying 70% of the world’s electricity generation.
TOWARDS A DECARBONISED GRID
- The most recent advances (conversion efficiency improvements and declining costs) regarding key components and storage technologies.
DISRUPTIVE SOLAR TECHNOLOGIES
- On-grid applications, whether ground-mounted, floating, or integrated in residential and commercial rooftops.
SOLAR BEYOND THE POWER SECTOR
- Innovative applications where PV is used to move, heat, cool, and drive eco-friendly industrial processes.
- They produce fuels as well as off-grid applications, to provide universal access to energy.
The ISA has 67 countries as ISA has six programmes viz.
- Solar Applications for Agricultural Use
- Affordable Finance at Scale
- Mini Grids
- Solar Rooftops
- Solar E-mobility & Storage
- Large-Scale Solar Parks.
- Embassy of France in India, congratulated ISA in its efforts and stated that having a decarbonised world is a dream we all aspire for .
- ISA must fulfill the dream of lighting every home no matter how far away by bringing the innovative and affordable technologies to forefront.
- World Solar Technology Summit is a stepping stone in that direction.