Table of Contents Hide
World Health Day 2022 | UPSC
In the midst of a pandemic, a polluted planet, increasing diseases like cancer, asthma, heart disease, on World Health Day 2022.
WHY IN NEWS:
PM extends greetings on World Health Day and prays for everyone’s good health and wellness
WORLD HEALTH DAY 2022
- WHO will focus global attention on urgent actions needed to keep humans and the planet healthy and foster a movement to create societies focused on well-being.
- WHO estimates that more than 13 million deaths around the world each year are due to avoidable environmental causes.
- This includes the climate crisis which is the single biggest health threat facing humanity. The climate crisis is also a health crisis.
- World Health Day is celebrated every year on 7 April to commemorate the anniversary of the founding of the World Health Organization (WHO) in 1948.
- Each year for this date, a theme is chosen that highlights an area of priority concern for WHO.
- However, this theme of Our Planet, Our Health should be a powerful reminder to us that the resolution of many of these issues are beyond the exclusive purview of the health sector.
- As a consequence, an effective response will demand whole- of- government and whole- of society approaches.
- In recent decades, enhancements in health services, environmental protection, economic development, and other factors have led to improvements in the health of people across the Region of the Americas.
- Nevertheless, an estimated one million premature deaths per year are attributable to known avoidable environmental risks.
- These threats to public health are compounded by weak governance practices and potential inequities in health as well as by limited leadership, expertise, and resources in the health sector.
Through the Our planet, our health campaign, WHO will urge governments and the public to share stories of steps they are taking to protect the planet and their health and prioritize well-being societies.