World Coconut Day 2020 | UPSC
World Coconut Day: A wonder fruit that has nurtured humanity
WHY IN NEWS:
ICAR-Central Plantation Crops Research Institute (ICAR-CPCRI), Kasaragod, will watch World Coconut Day on September 2.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Miscellaneous
For PRELIMS go through aim and theme .
For MAINS you have to dive into history of Coconut . Go through the significance part mentioned below .
WORLD COCONUT DAY 2020
- September 2 has a special significance for all coconut-growing countries of the world.
- It is the day observed annually as ‘World Coconut Day’ in several countries of the Asia-Pacific region, including India.
- India is one of the major coconut producing country across the world while Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh are the major coconut producing states in India.
- September 2 has been designated as Coconut Day by the Asian and Pacific Coconut Community (APCC) headquartered at Jakarta, Indonesia.
- All major coconut-growing countries including India are members of the APCC.
- The topic is chosen by the International Coconut Community.
GOOD FOR HEART HEALTH
- People who live on Polynesian islands and frequently eat coconut meat have lower rates of heart disease than those who follow a normal diet.
- Consuming virgin coconut oil, which is extracted from dried coconut meat, is proved to reduce belly fat if people use it in a proper way.
- This is especially beneficial because excess belly fat increases your risk of heart disease and diabetes.
BLOOD SUGAR CONTROL
- Coconut is low in carbs and high in fiber and fat, so it can help to stabilize your blood sugar.
- The high fiber content of coconut meat also helps in slow digestion and improves insulin resistance which can help regulate blood sugar levels as well.
POWERPACK OF ANTIOXIDANTS
- Which are antioxidants that may help protect cells from oxidative damage.
- Gallic acid
- Caffeic acid
- Salicylic acid
- P-coumaric acid
The Lab tests on coconut meat have shown that it has antioxidant and free radical scavenging activity.
- The coconut contains protein, several important minerals, and small amounts of B vitamins.
- Unlike many other fruits that are high in carbs, coconuts provide mostly fat.
- The minerals in coconut are involved in many functions in your body.
- They’re also rich in copper and iron, which helps the body to form red blood cells, as well as selenium, an important antioxidant that protects your cells.
HOW TO CELEBRATE
- On this day, air out a coconut, on the off chance that you have never done it.
- It will be a great deal of enjoyable to split into a genuine coconut.
- Cook uncommon coconut-based food and serve it to your friends and family.
- You can likewise set up a gathering, and give coconut based dishes and beverages.
- Post and offer your World Coconut Day festivities via web-based media utilizing the hashtag #WorldCoconutDay.
- Whereas from southeast Asia, Austronesian sailors took it west to the Indian Ocean island of Madagascar as well as east to the islands of the Pacific.
- Whatever its origins and history, the coconut tree provides us a varied range of products.
- We are familiar with the tender white flesh of the coconut, usually used in cooking.
- However, its water, oil and milk are also widely used for cooking and non-cooking purposes.
- Coconut sap, coir and copra are parts of the tree used to make coconut butter, coconut cream and doormats.
The coconut tree is often called the Kalpavriksha, the divine tree that fulfils wishes and is common to Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism.
However, there’s no doubt that the coconut is an indispensable part of life in the tropical coasts of the world. For them, it’s simply “the tree of life”.