World Accreditation Day 2020 | UPSC
QCI Celebrates the World Accreditation Day 2020;
WHY IN NEWS:
Role of credible, competent accreditation for improving food safety highlighted
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Commerce : UN : World Accreditation Day 2020
For PRELIMS understand the meaning of accreditation – the action or process of officially recognizing someone . Now let us dive into both national and international celebrations separately.
For MAINS try to sort out a necessary assessment infrastructure for quality measures and the tools required from this article !
- National Accreditation Board for Certification Bodies (NABCB) and National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL), the two accreditation boards of the Quality Council of India (QCI).
- This is because NABCB and NABL have worked closely to support Government and Regulators .
- Thus ensuring that the data provided by accredited conformity assessment bodies is robust, reliable, trustworthy in decision making, compliance testing and standards setting.
- “FSSAI has recognized the role of credible, competent accreditation for inputs in decision making.
- Accreditation also facilitates world trade and economic growth”.
THERE IS A NEED TO INSTITUTIONALISE ACCREDITATION IN FIELDS LIKE :
- The accreditation of state food testing laboratories,
- Encouraging accredited laboratories to undertake Proficiency Testing (PT),
- Increasing the number of accredited Reference Materials Producers (RMPs),
- Developing Rapid Test Kits for food analysis,
- Accreditation scheme for its certification,
- Integrated System for information exchange as relevant to the food sector.
WORLD ACCREDITATION DAY HIGHLIGHTS:
PRIME FOCUS ON FOOD SAFETY:
- Competent and impartial inspection,
- Certification and testing services in all parts of local, National and international food chains.
- Accreditation has a very important role to play in the quality ecosystem.
- There is a need for development of conformity assessment infrastructure and consumer empowerment in the country.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB/World Accreditation Day 2020
Read More : UN Celebrations