Why prefixing 0 will be mandatory ?
All Fixed to Mobile calls to be dialed with prefix ‘0’ from 15th January, 2021
WHY IN NEWS:
This is to free up sufficient numbering resources for future use
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Communication
For PRELIMS forget numbers here and look out for ministries , departments and why numbering combinations are ending up ! Let us dive in .
WHY PREFIXING 0 WILL BE MANDATORY ?
- India has 10-digit mobile numbering plans, and that series for numbers starting with “0” and “1” are reserved for special purposes.
- Theoretically 800 crore numbers are possible.
- This will come into effect from January 15.
- TRAI had arrived to this conclusion after studying the issue of adequate numbering resources for fixed line and mobile services.
WHAT HAS BEEN THE CHANGE?
- All calls made from landline to mobile phones will be dialled with the prefix “0” X from January 15.
- Those dealing a mobile number from a fixed phones without right now the prefix will hear an announcement.
- Dialling “0” before the mobile phone number was a practice followed for outstation mobile numbers.
- Previously, the government allowed inter-circle mobile number portability.
- However, from January 15, the dialling procedure for mobile phones to mobile phones will not change.
- Till now, mobile numbers were traditionally registered to series starting from “9”, and some combinations starting with “8”, “7” and “6”.
- Currently, with these combinations a total of 115 crore mobile numbers are available.
- Those starting with other numbers overlap with certain numbering plans issued to landline phones.
- Therefore, to create sufficient numbering combinations, the prefix “0” has been re-introduced.
- These include use-cases such as smart meters, for which the government has already allocated a 13-digit numbering system.
- TRAI had also recommended that all the SIM-based M2M connections using 10-digit mobile numbering series shifted to the 13- digit numbering series at the earliest.
WHAT IS THE IMPACT OF THIS?
- As of August 31, 2020 there were already 114.79 crore wireless subscribers in the country.
- On the one hand wireless subscriptions are gradually increasing.
- It will also free up numbering resources for mobile phones in the future.
- In the near term itself, the exercise will result in generation of 253.9 crore numbers.
- A total of approximately 2539 million numbering series is expected to be generated from the above.
- This will free up sufficient numbering resources for future use.
- The above changes have been done in order to have minimum inconvenience to the subscribers and freeing up essential numbering resources.
SOURCES: IE & PIB | Why prefixing 0 will be mandatory ?