VITAMIN – D Formula | UPSC
Arming India’s poor against the pandemic
WHY IN NEWS:
Vitamins and nutritious food subsidy are indispensable in this fight
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Science
For PRELIMS it is important to understand how Vitamins and Mineral work inside our body and their formation .
For MAINS can you device a scheme for inclusion of Vitamins and Minerals in Rural India’s diet ?
VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY
- It is also associated with infections in the respiratory tract and lung injury.
- Vitamin D is known to help in having the right amount of calcium in the bones.
- Catalyse the process of protecting cell membranes from damage.
- Preventing the inflammation of tissues and helping stop tissues from forming fibres
- Weakening bones from becoming brittle.
- Which can lead to osteoporosis.
VITAMIN D FORMULA
- It is produced when sunlight (or artificial light, particularly in the ultraviolet region of 190-400 nm wavelength) falls on the skin .
- It is these two molecules that are physiologically active.
LEVELS OF VITAMIN D
- Level of 25-OHD in the range 30-100 ng/ml is thought to be sufficient for a healthy body.
- Levels between 21-29 ng/ml are considered insufficient.
- Levels below 20 ng/ml mean the individual is deficient in the vitamin.
- A nation of abundant sunshine, is surprisingly found to have a massive burden of vitamin D deficiency.
Given the deficit in vitamin D (indeed in many other vitamins, and calcium), it is highly desirable for the governments to:
(a) Consult nutrition experts and institutions to advise and suggest the type of nutritive items that can be added to the current ‘ration’ food given to the poor, and the meals given to school children.
(b) In any case, supply free of charge, vitamin D, other vitamins and calcium, in consultation with medical and public health experts regarding the dosage, frequency and other details.
- There are excellent Indian companies that manufacture these.
- Since sunlight in important for the generation of vitamin D, tropical countries have an advantage over the northern countries.