VAHAN Portal | UPSC
MoRTH asks NIC to ensure capturing FASTag details before new vehicle registration and while issuing fitness certificates for national permit vehicles
WHY IN NEWS:
Besides facilitating smooth commutation/transit, the move to check Covid
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Transport
For PRELIMS go through the various facilities the portal handles.
For MAINS do you think the whole process can be automated to avoid corruption and middlemen ? If yes then how other countries are doing it ?
VAHAN – THE INTEGRATED SOLUTION FOR VEHICLE REGISTRATION
- New Vehicle Registration
- Renewal of Registration
- Transfer of Ownership
- Change of Address etc.
- Issue of National & Interstate Permit
- Renewal of Permit
- State-wise tax calculation & Payment
- Issue of Fitness Certificate
- Renewal of Fitness Certificate
- Issue of Challan
- Settlement of Penalty Amount
- The VAHAN system is now getting all information on FASTags.
- This will ensure capturing FASTag details while registering new vehicles, as also while issuing fitness certificates to vehicles plying under national permit.
- Fitment of FASTag is to ensure that vehicles crossing the National Highway fee plazas use electronic medium of FASTag payment, and cash payment is avoided.
- This usage and promotion of FASTag will also be effective to minimising possibilities of spreading COVID at NH Toll Plazas.