UN : Marijuana is no more a Dangerous Drug in 2020 | UPSC
UN removes cannabis from ‘most dangerous drug’ category, what this means
WHY IN NEWS:
Currently in India, the NDPS Act, 1985, illegalises any mixture with or without any neutral material, of any of the two forms of cannabis – charas and ganja — or any drink prepared from it.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 2 : 3 : Health : Drugs
- The CND has 53 member States that are elected by ECOSOC and is chaired by a Bureau.
- This includes one member per Regional Group.
POLICY ON DRUGS
- The CND adopted the 2019 Ministerial Declaration.
- It was formulated to accelerate the implementation of joint commitments to address and counter the world drug problem.
DRUG CONTROL CONVENTIONS
- It is mandated under the three international drug control conventions (1961, 1971 and 1988 Conventions).
- The CND holds regular session, reconvened sessions, intersessional meetings, as well as informal consultations and special events
- The Commissions actively contributes to the implementation of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda.
- Sustainable development and the mandates of the Commissions are strongly interrelated and mutually reinforcing.
SOURCES: IE | UN : Marijuana is no more a Dangerous Drug in 2020 | UPSC