UMANG Mobile App
IMD Weather Services VIA UMANG Mobile App
WHY IN NEWS:
To further enhance the initiatives of Digital India Programme, MeitY has brought the India Meteorological Department (IMD) services on the “UMANG App”.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Recent Innovations : Digital India Programme : IMD
For PRELIMS it is important to understand the latest update on this app with respect to weather information . Do not forget which ministry !
ALL ABOUT UMANG APP :
IMPORTANT FEATURES OF UMANG APP :
- About 660 services from 127 departments & 25 states and about 180 utility bill payment services are live and more are in pipeline.
- UMANG user base has crossed 2.1 Crore including Android, iOS, Web and KaiOS.
- Citizens can also access their Digilocker from UMANG and give their feedback after availing any service through Rapid Assessment System (RAS) which has been integrated with UMANG.
UPDATED FEATURES OF UMANG APP :
The following 7 services hosted on http://mausam.imd.gov.in web site of IMD have been on-boarded on UMANG Mobile application:
- CURRENT WEATHER –Current temperature, humidity, wind speed, direction for 150 cities updated 8 times a day.
- NOWCAST– Three hourly warnings of localized weather phenomena and their intensity issued for about 800 stations, and districts of India by State Meteorological Centers of IMD.
- CITY FORECAST – Past 24 hours and 7 day forecast of weather conditions around 450 cities in India are given.
- RAINFALL INFORMATION– All India district Rainfall information daily, weekly, monthly and cumulative series are available.
- TOURISM FORECAST– Past 24 hours and 7 day forecast of weather conditions of around 100 Tourist cities in India are provided.
- WARNINGS– The alert issued to warn citizens of approaching dangerous weather.It is colour coded in Red, Orange and Yellow are the alert levels with Red as the most severe category.
- CYCLONE– Cyclone warnings and alerts provides the track of cyclonic storms along with likely time and point of crossing of coast.
SERVICES AVAILABLE ON UMANG :
|Digilocker||A secure cloud-based platform for storing, sharing and verifying documents/certificates.|
|Aadhaar Card||You can View and/or Download your Aadhaar Card from your Digilocker Account|
|EPFO||This service on UMANG allows you to monitor your EPF (Employee Provident Fund) Account Balance, EPF Pension Account Balance, etc. using UAN and OTP to registered mobile number.|
|NPS||Logging in to the National Pension System account through UMANG App allows you to check your Tier 1 and Tier 2 Account balances, through PRAN and password|
|Pay Income Tax||This module available through UMANG application allows tax payers to pay their Advance Tax, Self Assessment Tax, etc. using Challan 280. After tax payment, the tax payment challan can also be tracked using the “Track Challan Status” service.|
|Ayushman Bharat||This is National Health Protection Scheme currently being implemented as a Pilot Project to provide primary, secondary and tertiary healthcare network to masses.|
|e-RaktKosh||This UMANG module is designed to provide access to blood banks through greater digitisation and connectivity of blood banks across the country.|
|Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna||This part of the Government promoted app is designed to provide services that promote financial inclusion across the country.|
|Jeevan Pramaan||The Jeevan Pramaan service is available only to the pensioners allowing them to generate a Life Certificate using mobile handset connected to an external biometric device|
|Parivahan Sewa – Vahan||At present, this module in UMANG allows you to make payment of commercial road tax if Registration Certificate of the vehicle is updated on Digilocker.|
SOURCES : https://www.paisabazaar.com/saving-schemes/umang-app/#services
MeitY has taken various initiatives in recent past to ease of lives of citizens by facilitating online delivery of Government services.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB/DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS for UPSC CSE Prelims & Mains
DISCOVER MORE : Important General Science Paper-3 Issues