Ulcerative Colitis Analysis | UPSC
Japan’s prime minister, Shinzo Abe, has announced that he is retiring due to worsening health.
WHY IN NEWS:
The condition 65-year-old Abe suffers from is ulcerative colitis.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Health:Diseases
For PRELIMS go through causes , symptoms and medication of ulcerative colitis .
For MAINS nothing much here . Let us dive in !
- Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) that causes long-lasting inflammation and ulcers (sores) in your digestive tract.
- Symptoms usually develop over time, rather than suddenly.
- Diarrhea, often with blood or pus
- Abdominal pain and cramping
- Rectal pain
- Rectal bleeding — passing small amount of blood with stool
- Urgency to defecate
- Inability to defecate despite urgency
- Weight loss
- In children, failure to grow
Ulcerative Colitis Analysis UPSC
- The exact cause of ulcerative colitis remains unknown.
- When our immune system tries to fight off an invading virus or bacterium, an abnormal immune response causes the immune system to attack the cells in the digestive tract, too.
- Heredity also seems to play a role in that ulcerative colitis is more common in people who have family members with the disease.
- However, most people with ulcerative colitis don’t have this family history.
- Severe bleeding
- A hole in the colon (perforated colon)
- Severe dehydration
- Liver disease (rare)
- Bone loss (osteoporosis)
- Inflammation of your skin, joints and eyes
- An increased risk of colon cancer
- A rapidly swelling colon (toxic megacolon)
- Increased risk of blood clots in veins and arteries
- Although there is no cure for the disease, there is a range of drugs that can help to reduce the symptoms .
- The goal is to heal the inflamed gut completely as this reduces the chance of disease flare-ups and complications.
- These drugs are delivered by mouth and work locally in the gut to reduce inflammation.
- They’re usually the first treatment option for mild or moderate ulcerative colitis.
- They tend to be used with or instead of 5-ASAs if 5-ASAs alone aren’t effective.
- Ulcerative colitis can be debilitating and can sometimes lead to life-threatening complications.
- While it has no known cure, treatment can greatly reduce signs and symptoms of the disease and even bring about long-term remission.