Table of Contents Hide
UDID Portal 2021 | UPSC
Mandatory online certification of disability through UDID portal
WHY IN NEWS:
The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), Government of India has issued Gazette notification ; making it mandatory for all States/UTs to grant certificate of disability through online mode only using UDID portal.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1: Social Justice
UDID Portal 2021
- Rule 18(5) mandates the Central Government to appoint a date making it mandatory for the State/UT authorities to issue certificate of disability through online mode.
- The Central Advisory Board on Disability headed by Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment discussed this issue in its last meeting held on 26.11.2020 and recommended mandatory online disability certification from 01.04.2021.
- The UDID project is under implementation since 2016. Concerned authorities of all States/UTs have been imparted training by DEPwD for working on the UDID portal.
SOURCES : UDID Portal
- The States/UTs have been given adequate time to convert to online mode.
- It will ensure complete digitization of certification of disability from 01.06.2021, besides providing a viable mechanism for cross-checking genuineness of the certificate to achieve pan-India validity, and simplifying the process for the benefit of Divyangjan.
- The UDID project initiated by Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
- Online availability of data of Person with Disabilities across country through a centralized web application.
- Online filing and submission of registration application form for disability certificate/ Universal ID card; Offline applications may also be accepted and subsequently digitized by agencies.
- Quick Assessment process for calculating the percentage of disability by the hospitals/ Medical Board.
- Non-duplication of PwDs data
- Online renewal and update of information by Person with Disabilities/ on their behalf
- MIS reporting framework
- To take care of additional disabilities in future. Number of disabilities at the moment is seven and shall be subject to increase as per the new Act/ notification which can be up to 19 or more
WORKFLOW – UDID PORTAL
- PwDs are required to register with the UDID portal.
- Once registered, after the login is complete, they will be able to apply online for Disability Certificate and UDID card.
- They will also be able to track the status of their application.
- They can put forward their request for renewal of Disability Certificate/UDID Card and also request for another card in case of loss of their UDID Card.
- One of the unique features shall be the ability to locate their CMO Office/Medical Authority for assessment of disability, District Welfare Officer to receive assistance and to know about the various schemes for Persons with Disabilities.
- Application from the PwD will be received by the CMO Office/Medical Authority.
- Automating Disability Certificate/UDID Card issue process will significantly reduce the time and timely delivery of the Disability Certificate/UDID Card assured.
- The web portal would also facilitate smooth implementation of schemes meant for PwDs.
- District Collectors will use this application to monitor implementation of the UDID project and its effectiveness. They will use of some of the basic reports/summaries generated from UDID portal.
SUGGESTED READING : www.swavlambancard.gov.in