Toycathon-2021 and Toycathon Portal | UPSC
Union Education Minister and Union Minister WCD and Textiles jointly launch Toycathon-2021 and Toycathon Portal
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: MSME : Hackathon
ABOUT TOYCATHON 2021
- India, despite being a home of many globally popular games like Chess, Ludo, Snakes and Ladders, is not among leading developers and manufacturers of toys.
- Under the ‘AatmaNirbhar Bharat Abhiyan’ initiated by our Hon’ble Prime Minister, Toycathon-2021 is conceived to challenge India’s innovative minds to conceptualize novel Toy and Games.
- Moreover, majority of these toys do not represent Indian heritage, civilization and value systems.
- The Toycathon aims to capture innovative prowess of 33 crores students across the country.
- Toycathon to capture innovative prowess of 33 crores students ; School children to innovate, design and conceptualize toys.
Ministry of Education’s Innovation cell will be support by :
- All India Council for Technical Education
- Ministry of Women and Child Development
- Ministry of Commerce and Industry
- Ministry of MSME
- Ministry of Textiles and Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
FOCUS OF TOYCATHON 2021
- Toy/Games concepts based on Indian civilization, heritage, culture, mythology,history, ethos, technology, ethnicity, national heroes and important events.
- Inculcate positive behaviour and good values(‘Sanskaar’).
- Toys for specially-abled/ Divyanga children.
- Boosting physical and mental fitness.
- Focus on promoting Vedic Mathematics.
- Encouraging national unity and respecting the cultural diversity.
- Supporting missions like Swacch Bharat, BetiBachaoBetiPadhao, Environment Conservation, Climate Change, Digital India, Skill India, Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat.
- Rediscovering/redesigning traditional Indian toys.
- Toys for pedagogy (for teaching students’difficult concepts in Math, Science, Languages, Social Sciences, etc.)
- It will also help our children to understand the ethos and values of Indian culture as envisaged in the National Education Policy 2020.
LAUNCH OF TOYCATHON 2021
- Toycathon 2021 will be launched on 5th January, 2021 at 2 p.m.
- On 5th January, 2021 at 5 p.m. this portal will be up for idea submission.
- Participants can start registration process by 5th January.
REGISTRATION AND IDEA SUBMISSION
- If a problem statement seems suitable then they will have an idea for a toy/game on it, Participants should prepare the remaining requirements in the form and submit the idea in the prescribed format.
- The last date of submission of ideas is 20th January, 2021.
PHASE 1 – ONLINE SCRUTINY
- An online scrutiny by a team of expert evaluators will begin as soon as the ideas are submitted.
- The evaluators shall judge participants idea based on predetermined criteria.
- Based on the scrutiny, which will continue till 8th February, 2021 a list of shortlisted teams for Grand Finale will be declared on 12th February.
PHASE 2 – GRAND FINALE – PHYSICAL MODE
Grand Finale will take place at a Nodal Center or an ATL near the participant
- Participants along with the team and mentors will report there on 23rd February, 2021 as per the schedule given.
- The manufacturing/prototyping activity will go on over 23rd-25th February, 2021 slot as per the schedule for different tracks.
- There will be numerous mentoring and evaluation sessions in this time period.
DECLARATION OF RESULTS
THEMES FOR TOY HACKATHON
- Indian Culture, History, Knowledge of India and Ethos
- Learning, Education and Schooling
- Social and human value
- Occupations & specific fields
- Fitness and sport
- Out of the box, creative and logical thinking
- Rediscovering/redesigning traditional Indian toys
- Toycathon 2021 is a unique opportunity for Students, Teachers, Start-ups and Toy experts/professionals in India to submit their innovative toys/games concepts and win large number of prizes worth Rs. 50 lakhs.
- Moreover, efforts will be made to commercialize the exceptional toy concepts will support from Industry and investors.
- The Toycathon will allow participation of students and teachers from schools, colleges and universities apart from startups and toy experts.
- Participants will have two options for idea submission; they can either submit ideas for the published problem statements or under novel toy concepts category.
SOURCES: PIB | Toycathon-2021 and Toycathon Portal | UPSC