Torpedo Decoy System | UPSC
Navy Inducts Indigenously Developed Torpedo Decoy System
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Defence : Technology : DRDO
For PRELIMS it is essential to have a grip over this technology . It is simple yet powerful tool for INSV.
DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT
- Design & Development of this anti-torpedo decoy system has been undertaken indigenously DRDO labs (NSTL and NPOL).
- Bharat Electronics Limited, a Defence PSU, would undertake the production of this decoy system.
MAAREECH ADVANCED TORPEDO DEFENCE SYSTEM :
- The system offers a complete solution to detect and locate an incoming torpedo and to apply countermeasures to protect naval platform against torpedo attack.
- It is an anti-torpedo system with towed and expendable decoys.
- The decoy helps in exhausting the energy of the torpedo by running the later through long and ineffective course and prevents them from homing in to the targeted platform with its advanced counter-measure capabilities.
- Two production grade MAAREECH systems have been developed and user evaluation trials completed on board two Indian Navy ships.
- The Indian Navy has already placed orders for three torpedo defence systems that would be installed on ships at the Mazagon Dock Limited
This induction not only stands testimony to the joint resolve of the Indian Navy and DRDO towards indigenous development of Defence technology, but has also given a major fillip to the Government’s ‘Make in India’ initiative and the country’s resolve to become ‘Atmanirbhar’ in niche technology.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB | Torpedo Decoy System | UPSC