Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge | UPSC
Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad launches “Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge” to realize the ambition of self-reliance and a momentous stride towards “Atmanirbhar Bharat”
WHY IN NEWS:
Registration process begins on 18th August 2020 through MyGov portal
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Science and Technology : Electronics : Semiconductors
For PRELIMS this article wants you to dive into basic electronic . Concentrate on Aim , Processors and expected outcome .
For MAINS do you think for larger computational needs we should rely on only IIT’s ? How can we enlarge the scope of Digital India ?
SWADESHI MICROPROCESSOR CHALLENGE
“Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge– Innovate Solutions for #Aatmanirbhar Bharat”.
- To provide further impetus to the strong ecosystem of Start-up, innovation and research in the country.
The challenge is made available by IIT Madras (शक्ति processors) and C-DAC (वेगा processors), powered by FPGA Boards of XILINX which is supported by CoreEL Technologies funded by MEITY.
- The Challenge spread over 10 months, kick-starts with registration process at on 18th August 2020 and culminates in June 2021.
- IIT Madras and Center for Development of Advance Computing (CDAC) have developed two microprocessors named SHAKTI (32 bit) and VEGA (64 bit) respectively.
- These are using Open Source Architecture under the aegis of MEITY.
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has released the software development kit (SDK) for its open-source Shakti processor.
- Shakti is based on the open-source RISC-V instruction set architecture .
- The plan was to release a family of six classes of processors, each serving a different market.
- The group promised that the reference processors will be competitive with commercial offerings in terms of area, performance and power consumption.
- C-DAC has successfully completed the design, development and validation of a series of 32-bit /64-bit Single and Multi-core high performance processors named ‘VEGA’.
- C-DAC has also integrated a wide range of in-house developed Silicon proven System and Peripheral IPs .
- The complete software ecosystem comprising of the Board Support Packages ,IDE plug-ins and Debugger for development, testing and debugging is also available.
SCOPE OF स्वदेशी MICROPROCESSOR CHALLENGE
- “Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge- Innovate Solutions for #Aatmanirbhar Bharat” seeks to invite innovators, startups and students.
- Also it focuses has to mitigate the issues of security, licensing, technology and most crucially cutting dependency on imports.
- The design, development & fabrication of these state-of-the-art processor variants at foundry in the country and abroad.
- These are small yet successful step to leapfrog to ultimate goal of vibrant ecosystem of Electronic System Design & Manufacturing in the country.
- The “Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge” is part of the series of proactive, preemptive and graded measures taken by Ministry of Electronics and IT.
- This will spur the technology led innovation ecosystem in the country and staying at the forefront of digital adoption.
- The contest is open to all Indian students pursuing undergraduate, postgraduate & Doctoral degrees in Engineering discipline with Indian Colleges and Universities.
- Ministry of Electronics and IT offers a slew of benefits to the contestants like internship opportunities and regular technical guidance .
- Opportunity for 100 Semi-finalists to win total Rs. 1.00 Crore of Award, 25 Finalists to win total Rs. 1.00 Crore of Award
- REWARDS AND RECOGNITION : Participants will Win lucrative prize money at various stages of the Challenge.
- FAST TRACK FUTURE : It is platform to innovate and demonstrate capabilities.
- VISIBILITY : A high viewership platform provides you with an opportunity to showcase and promote your innovation.
- BE MENTORED BY THE BEST : Opportunity to gain mentorship and guidance under the best VLSI & Electronics System Design Experts in the country.
- EXPAND YOUR REACH : Opportunity to meet peers, domain experts and other stakeholders.