Swachh Mahotsav | UPSC
Prime Minister to Announce Results of Swachh Survekshan 2020 in “Swachh Mahotsav”, the Virtual Event Being Organized by Mohua
WHY IN NEWS:
Fifth Edition of Annual Cleanliness Survey of Urban India Completed in 28 Days
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Scheme : Survey
For PRELIMS SS 2020 is an important issue . Track this event . Go through timeline , aim , organisers and achievements .
For MAINS go through the mission targets . Let us dive in !
SWACHH SURVEKSHAN 2020
- Swachh Survekshan has become a tool for citizen engagement in the spirit of a true ‘Jan Andolan’.
- Swachh Survekshan 2020 is the World’s largest cleanliness survey .
- 2016 : As a prelude to encouraging cities to improve urban sanitation, MoHUA had conducted Swachh Survekshan 2016 survey for the rating of 73 cities in January 2016,
- 2017 : Swachh Survekshan 2017 conducted in January-February 2017 ranking 434 cities.
- 2018 : Swachh Survekshan 2018, which became the world’s largest cleanliness survey, ranked 4203 cities .
- 2019 : Swachh Survekshan 2019 which not only covered 4237 cities but was also the first of its kind completely digital survey completed in a record time of 28 days.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS SS 2020
- 1.7 Crore Citizens Registered on Swachhata App
- Over 11 Crore Impressions on Social Media
- Over 5.5 Lakh Sanitary Workers Linked to Social Welfare Schemes
- Over 84,000 Informal Waste Pickers Integrated Into Mainstream
- Over 21,000 Garbage Vulnerable Points Identified &Transformed.
FIFTH EDITION – SWACHH MAHOTSAV
- Shri Narendra Modi, Hon’ble Prime Minister will announce the results of Swachh Survekshan 2020 on 20th Aug.
- This is the fifth edition of the annual cleanliness survey of the country.
- A total of 129 awards will be handed over to the top performing cities and states in the programme, titled “Swachh Mahotsav”.
- The Prime Minister will also be interacting with selected beneficiaries, swachhagrahis and SafaiKarmis through video conference.
- The Prime Minister shall launch the Swachh Survekshan 2020 results dashboard on the occasion.
- The event is being organized by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), Government of India.
- MoHUA’s partner organizations in the SBM-U journey , United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), Google will be facilitated this year.
- Swachh Survekshan was introduced by the government with the objective of generating large scale citizen participation in the Mission.
- Thus, inculcating a spirit of healthy competition among cities towards becoming India’s cleanest cities.
In Swachh Survekshan 2020, in order to ensure continuous assessment,Government had also introduced Swachh Survekshan League(SSL).
- Construction of more than 66 lakhs individual household toilets has far exceeding the Mission’s targets.
- In the area of solid waste management, 96% of wards have complete door-to door collection.
- 66% of the total waste generated is being processed – a jump of nearly 4 times over 2014 levels of 18% processing.
- A total of 6 cities (Indore, Ambikapur, Navi Mumbai, Surat, Rajkot and Mysuru) have been rated as 5-star cities.
- Swachh Survekshan has today made ‘Swachhata’ a thing of motivation and pride .
- Indore has retained the top position for three consecutive years (2017,2018, 2019).
- The results to be announced on 20 August 2020 will bring the curtains down on the much-anticipated results for the 2020 edition which were delayed owing to the current COVID pandemic.