Swachh Bharat Mission Phase II
Swachh Bharat Mission Phase II guidelines released
WHY IN NEWS:
Safe toilets, with well managed black and grey water, are the need of the hour, particularly in rural areas
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:SCHEMES
For PRELIMS it is important to understand the new parameters of SBM -II
For MAINS there are some bottlenecks when we converge a scheme and dilute the focus . Let us dive in !
SWACHH BHARAT MISSION PHASE II
The guidelines hold significance as the country deals with the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
- The dumping of untreated faecal sludge has destroyed surface and ground water.
- Safe toilets, with well-managed black and grey water, are the need of the hour.
- The guidelines talk about building more toilets or community toilet complexes .
- They also mention availability of adequate water or storage facilities of water for these toilets.
- They point out that first SBM I made the country’s districts open-defecation free (ODF) in October 2019.
The programme will be implemented in close coordination and convergence with:
- JJM for greywater management
- Finance Commission funds for co-financing of assets
- National Rural Employment Guarantee Act for dovetailing funds and functionaries
- Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship for skill development of field functionaries
- National Rural Livelihood Mission for involving self-help groups as vehicles for behaviour change communication
- New National Biogas Organic Manure Programme scheme of the Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy
BOTTLENECKS OF THIS MISSION :
- They do not mention clearly how water availability to toilets will be connected.
- Bottlenecks over the availability of water in toilets and solutions to make the mission a success are not explained either.
- There is only a mention of recharging groundwater by greywater.
- Gram Panchayats should converge village action plans (VAP) for SBM and Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM).
This created a bottleneck in the progress of the toilet construction.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB| Swachh Bharat Mission Phase II
DISCOVER MORE : Important Schemes for Prelims 2020