Swachh Bharat Diwas 2020 | UPSC
Ministry of Jal Shakti celebrates Swachh Bharat Diwas 2020 on occasion of Gandhi Jayanti with the distribution of Swachh Bharat Puraskar
WHY IN NEWS:
Under the guidance & leadership of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, the Swachh Bharat Mission Grameen has transformed rural India by manifesting into a Jan Andolan achieving Open Defecation Free milestone well before time: Shri Shekhawat
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : 3 : Awards : Scheme : SBM-G
For PRELIMS just remember the top names in the list . Names here are not important .
For MAINS go through the significance , behavioural changes , implementation and progress of the scheme throughout these six years.
SWACHH BHARAT DIWAS 2020
- Swachh Bharat (2020) Awards is an initiative to recognise the best performing States/UTs, districts, blocks, GPs and others in various categories of cleanliness.
- The awards were given at a virtual ceremony organized by Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS).
- It saw the online participation by Central, State and district Swachh Bharat Mission Grameen (SBMG) officials.
- Gujarat was felicitated with the first prize in the state category.
- Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu as best district.
- Khachrod, Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh as best block .
- Chinnaur, (Salem) as the best Gram Panchayat for Swachh Sundar Samudayik Shauchalaya (SSSS) campaign organized from 1st Nov 2019 to 30th April 2020.
SWACHH SUNDAR SAMUDAYIK SHAUCHALAYA (SSSS)
- The Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS) launched a six-month long campaign – Swachh Sundar Samudayik Shauchalaya (SSSS).
- Around 27,447 community sanitary complexes (CSCs) were constructed and beautified.
- The best performing state, district, block and GP were felicitated for their good work .
SAMUDAYIK SHAUCHALAYA ABHIYAN (SSA)
- Samudayik Shauchalaya Abhiyan (SSA) campaign ran from 15 June 2020 to 15 September 2020.
- Under this, states, districts, and GPs were mobilized to construct CSCs .
- A total of around 17,645 CSCs were constructed.
- Awards were given to the top state, district and GP.
GANDAGI SE MUKT BHARAT CAMPAIGN
For the week-long Gandagi Se Mukt (GMB) campaign launched by Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi on 8th August 2020.
- Haryana was felicitated with the top award for declaring maximum ODF Plus villages and Moga district.
- Borigaon, Bongaigaon, Assam received the best GP award.
- Punjab received the top award for maximum IEC messages through wall paintings.
- Under the Gandagi Mukt Bharat (GMB) painting and essay competition, more than 24.4 Lakh students participated.
- In addition to this, various awards were given in multiple categories.
SWACHH BHARAT MISSION-GRAMIN
- The SBMG has transformed rural India by manifesting into a Jan Andolan for sanitation.
- It has achieved Open Defecation Free (ODF) rural India milestone in mission mode well before time.
- Taking forward the extraordinary success, Phase II of the SBM (G) has been launched early this year.
- Mass campaigns like SSSS, SSA, and GMB organized over last one year are complimenting the efforts for achieving ODF Plus objectives.
- Wall beautification activities and competitions were undertaken to increase maximum participation and interest.
- On-site water facilities such as water tanks and pipes ensured toilet cleanliness and user safety.
- Swachh initiatives enable access to clean water and basic toilets for every child too.
- To consolidate the gains made from India’s ODF status and access to WASH facilities, there must be sustained usage of toilets by all and at all times.
- The ODF status of villages/ districts was proudly displayed on signboards – a joint feat of the community and local bodies.
- Swachh Bharat Mission – Grameen [SBM (G)] Phase II aims for ODF Plus villages .
- It also focuses on bringing behaviour change of the masses to adopt better sanitation and hygiene practices.
- Under the SSSS and SSA, community toilets were constructed and maintained by the community themselves.
- Availability of functional toilets with water facilities ensured the safety, convenience and dignity of users.
- Involvement of community members in the construction and maintenance of CSCs instilled a sense of ownership and pride in them.
- This is unconventional but effective in triggering behaviour change in the communities.
- Community mobilization is at the heart of this approach for triggering demand, promoting hygiene and creating awareness about toilets and SLWM .
- Therefore, IEC strategies, planning, and their effective implementation are key to the success of the Mission.
FULL LIST OF AWARDS – CLICK HERE
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB | Swachh Bharat Diwas 2020 | UPSC