Table of Contents Hide
Statistics Day 2021 | UPSC
“Statistics Day” will be celebrated on 29th June, 2021
WHY IN NEWS:
This year, due to COVID-19 pandemic, the main event of the Statistics Day, 2021 is being organized through Video Conferencing/ Webcasting at NITI Aayog, New Delhi.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 2: Autonomous bodies
STATISTICS DAY 2021
- The Government has been celebrating the Statistics Day, to popularise the use of Statistics in everyday life and sensitise the public as to how Statistics helps in shaping and framing policies.
- Every year, one particular theme of current national importance is chosen for focused discussions towards improvements in statistical systems of the area and filling the Data Gaps.
- On this occasion, MoSPI also recognizes the outstanding contribution for high quality research work in the field of applied and theoretical statistics benefiting the official statistical system.
- The first World Statistics Day was celebrated on 20 October 2010 with the theme “Service, professionalism, integrity: celebrating the many contributions and achievements of official statistics”.
- The second Day was celebrated on 20 October 2015 with the theme “Better data, better lives“.
NATIONAL STATISTICAL COMMISSION
- The National Statistical Commission (NSC) of India is an autonomous body which formed in June 2005 under the recommendation of Rangarajan commission.
- The NSC is currently headed by Prof. Bimal K. Roy who was appointed as Chairperson of the Commission on 15th July 2019 for a period of three years.
- This year, the winners of Prof. P.C. Mahalanobis National Award in Official Statistics, 2021 and Prof C. R. Rao National Award for Young Statistician, 2021 will be announced during the event.
- The winners of ‘On the Spot Essay Writing Competition, 2021’ for Post Graduate Students on the subject relevant to statistics organized at All India level will also be felicitated.