SITMEX-2020 : TRILATERAL MARITIME EXERCISE | UPSC
Trilateral maritime exercise SITMEX-20 in Andaman sea
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Defence : Exercises
For PRELIMS open your Prelims book and take a note on aim , features , participants and do not forget the edition of this exercise.
For MAINS it is important to understand the significance of this exercise in Indo-Pacific region .
TRILATERAL MARITIME EXERCISE SITMEX-2020
- The first edition of SITMEX, hosted by Indian Navy, was conducted off Port Blair in September 2019.
- The second edition will be conducted from 21 to 22 November 2020 in Andaman Sea.
- The exercise will imbibe best practices between Indian Navy(IN), Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) and Royal Thai Navy (RTN).
- RSN is being represented by the ‘Formidable’ Class frigate ‘Intrepid’ and ‘Endurance’ Class Landing Ship Tank ‘Endeavour’ .
- RTN by the ‘Chao Phraya’ Class frigate ‘Kraburi’ in the exercise.
The two days of maritime drills will witness :
- A variety of exercises including naval manoeuvres
- Surface warfare exercises
- Weapon firings.
- The exercise highlights growing synergy, coordination and cooperation in the maritime domain between the three friendly navies and maritime neighbours.
- The exercise develops a common understanding and procedures towards enhancing the overall maritime security in the region.
- The exercise, being conducted as a ‘non-contact, at sea only’ exercise in view of COVID-19 pandemic
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, during his keynote address at Shangri-La Dialogue in June 2018, announced the conduct of a trilateral naval exercise -SITMEX.
SOURCES: PIB | SITMEX-2020 : TRILATERAL MARITIME EXERCISE | UPSC