Shri Shakti Challenge 2020 | UPSC
Winners of UN Women’s and MyGov’s COVID-19 Shri Shakti Challenge
WHY IN NEWS:
This contest not only highlights the capability of women entrepreneurs in India, but the depth of their expertise knowledge, commitment and resolve to fight the crisis and to build back better!
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Startups : Diseases : Recent Findings
For PRELIMS go through the different stages of the competition , prize and eligibility .
For MAINS how do such competition boost the morals of an entrepreneur ? Can you design a few more Challenges ? Let us dive in !
SHRI SHAKTI CHALLENGE 2020
- MyGov had launched COVID-19 Solution Challenge on its platform which has seen a very encouraging response from Startups, Entrepreneurs and individuals proposing technology solutions.
- The choosen fields were – Bioinformatics, datasets, Apps for diagnosis etc that can be leveraged for strengthening the fight against Corona.
- The Challenge was implemented in two stages: Ideation stage and Proof of Concept (PoC) Stage.
- The challenge received an overwhelming response with a total of 1265 entries received at the ideation stage from across the nation.
- They were provided a prize money of INR 75000 each to further develop their ideas.
- Mentorship sessions were organized to enable graduation of their ideas into Proof of Concepts that are ready for launch and scale up.
- The mentorship sessions were around topics like Business Modelling, Financial Modelling, Legal Certifications, Digital Marketing, Product Design, Art of making Pitch etc.
FIRST STAGE: IDEATION STAGE
At the Ideation Stage, 10 entrepreneurs will be selected based on the following parameters:
- Relevance to the subject matter
- Impact on society i.e. how helpful is the solution in combating the current crisis
SECOND STAGE: POC STAGE
Based on the POC(proof of concept), the solutions submitted will again be evaluated on the following parameters:
- Ease of deployment/roll-out
- Potential risks involved in implementation of the solution
JURY AND THE PRIZE
- MyGov will constitute a committee to evaluate the entries for the COVID-19 Shri Shakti Challenge and select the winners.
- The winners will also be eligible for the prizes to be given as part of COVID-19 Solution challenge, if selected.
- A total prize money of INR 22,50,000 has been committed by UN Women towards COVID-19 Shri Shakti Challenge, under their program WeEmpowerAsia, supported by the European Union.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Only Women Entrepreneurs and Entrepreneurs with solutions impacting a large number of women will be eligible for the Prizes sponsored by the UN Women.
- The Participants should be Citizens of India.
- Only Organisations or Entities registered in India would be eligible for COVID-19 Shri Shakti Challenge.
- This was a unique contest that invited applications from women individuals and start ups as well as those addressing issues faced by a larger number of women due to COVID- 19.
- While India was preparing against COVID-19 crisis, which had knocked its door, MyGov and UN Women prepared to engage the women entrepreneurs.
- This challenge will go a long way in promoting women entrepreneurship in India.
SOURCES: PIB | Shri Shakti Challenge 2020 | UPSC