SERB-POWER Scheme | UPSC
Dr Harsh Vardhan Launches DST initiative SERB – POWER (Promoting Opportunities for Women in Exploratory Research)
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Schemes
For PRELIMS go through aim , implementation , beneficiaries etc. Do not forget the ministry .
For MAINS can you think about more such initiatives in energy sectors ? Go through significance and windup . Let us dive in !
SERB – POWER (PROMOTING OPPORTUNITIES FOR WOMEN IN EXPLORATORY RESEARCH)
- The Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) has been contemplating to institute a scheme to mitigate gender disparity in science and engineering research.
- Union Minister for Science & Technology launched a Scheme titled “SERB-POWER (Promoting Opportunities for Women in Exploratory Research)”.
- It is designed exclusively for women scientists, and was launched on an e-platform.
- Integration of the gender dimension in research design has gained considerable attention in the global scenario.
- Science and engineering research board (A Statutory Body constituted by an Act of Parliament: SERB Act 2008) under Department of Science and Technology.
- These Schemes of the Government will definitely empower women scientists.
- It will cultivate women friendly culture in our academic and research institutions .
- Ministry of Science and Technology echoed the intent is to bring more numbers of women scientists in the R&D ecosystem.
- It was felt that SERB-POWER Fellowships and Grants will also serve as a benchmark of recognition in the national scenario.
SERB – POWER Scheme will have two components namely
(i) SERB-POWER Fellowship
(ii) SERB- POWER Research Grants.
SALIENT FEATURES OF THE SERB-POWER FELLOWSHIP
- TARGET : Women researchers in 35-55 years of age. Up-to 25 Fellowships per year and not more than 75 at any point in time.
- COMPONENTS OF SUPPORT : Fellowship of Rs. 15,000/- per month in addition to regular income; Research grant of Rs. 10 lakh per annum; and Overhead of Rs. 90,000/- per annum.
- DURATION : Three years, without the possibility of extension. Once in a career.
SALIENT FEATURES OF THE SERB – POWER RESEARCH GRANTS
POWER Grants will empower women researchers by funding them under following two categories:
- LEVEL I : (Applicants from IITs, IISERs, IISc, NITs, Central Universities, and National Labs of Central Government Institutions): The scale of funding is up to 60 lakhs for three years.
- LEVEL II : (Applicants from State Universities / Colleges and Private Academic Institutions): The scale of funding is up to 30 lakhs for three years.
- POWER Grant will be regulated through terms of reference conforming to SERB-CRG(Science and Engineering Research Board-Core Research Grant) guidelines.
- The existing Programme Advisory Committee (PAC) mechanism will be used to select the POWER Research Grants.
- It is proposed to institute 25 POWER Fellowships annually.
- A total of 50 Power Grants each will be sanctioned in Level I & Level II per annum.
SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING RESEARCH BOARD
- The Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) is a statutory body established through an Act of Parliament, 2008.
- To position science and technology as the fulcrum for social and economic change by supporting relevant, competitive and quality scientific research and development.
- As the premier national research funding agency, raise the quality and footprint of Indian science and engineering to the highest global levels in an accelerated mode.
- Serve as a premier agency for planning, promoting and funding of internationally competitive research in emerging areas.
- Identify major inter-disciplinary research areas, and individuals, groups or institutions and funding them for undertaking research.
- Enable in order to achieve synergy between academic institutions, research and development laboratories and industry for promoting basic research in science and engineering.
- Evolve a system of approach to expeditiously provide funding for research, including monitoring and evaluation, by adopting modern management practices.
- Women Fellowship Scheme had introduced some significant women empowering policies and supported thousands of women researchers in the past.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB | SERB-POWER Scheme | UPSC