SCO Online International Exhibition on Shared Buddhist Heritage
The first ever SCO Online International Exhibition on Shared Buddhist Heritage commences today
WHY IN NEWS:
Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu, Chair of the SCO Council of Heads of Government in 2020, unveils the Exhibition
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : Culture : Buddhism
For PRELIMS open your computer/laptop and get ready for a virtual tour of Museums. For Prelims note down all the art forms showcased by India in your Prelims book . It is important for Prelims 2021
For MAINS after you go through all the antiquities in the museum you can draw a timeline of events from Buddha’s life . That is a perfect way to keep your notes updated . Let us dive in !
SCO ONLINE INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITION ON SHARED BUDDHIST HERITAGE
- The first ever SCO Online Exhibition on Shared Buddhist Heritage was launched during the 19th Meeting of the SCO Council of Heads of Government (SCO CHG).
DEVELOPERS AND CURATORS
- The international exhibition is in active collaboration with SCO member countries.
- Visitors can take a virtual tour of art from SCO countries on a single platform and from the comfort of their home.
- Buddhist philosophy and art of Central Asia connects Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) countries to each other.
- This online international exhibition presents an excellent opportunity for visitors to access, appreciate and compare Buddhist art antiquities.
- The international exhibition gives a glimpse of the artistic wealth displayed in various museums across Asia.
- It represents the artistic excellence embedded within an eclectic historical timeline spanning across the development of different Schools of Buddhism.
The participating institutions are
- National Museum (New Delhi)
- Indian Museum (Kolkata)
- National Museum of Kazakhstan
- Dun Huang Academy (China)
- National Historical Museum of the Kyrgyz Republic
- Museums of Pakistan
- State Museum of Oriental Art, Moscow (Russia)
- National Museum and National Museum of Antiquities Tajikistan
- Renowned archaeological sites of Uzbekistan.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM MUSEUM HALL
- The Pakistan hall depicts the life of Gautama Buddha and Buddhist Art through a collection of impressive Gandhara art objects from Karachi, Lahore and Peshawar museums.
- Over 100 objects from State Oriental Art Museum, Moscow, depict the Buddhist Buriyat Art of Russia through icons, ritual objects, monastery traditions etc.
- The Dunhuang Academy of China contributed a rich digital collection on Buddhist Art from Dunhunag .
- It includes ingenious architecture, resplendent murals, decorative designs, costumes etc.
- The exhibition also showcases rare Buddhist art objects from various heritage sites and museums of Kazakhstan and Kyrygstan.
- National Museum, New Delhi has unfolded a new dimension in museum experiences by developing this online 3D virtual exhibition.
- The Prime Minister of India, in his Maan Ki Baat has lauded National Museum, New Delhi for its innovative efforts of using technology in cultural sector.
NATIONAL MUSEUM- NEW DELHI
- It is under the Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India.
- Established in 1949, the museum boasts of possessing a whopping 206,000 artworks, both Indian and foreign origin.
- It traces the rich cultural heritage of not only India but nations across the world, from over 5000 years ago.
- The two-storeyed museum building has earmarked halls to display antiques of different periods and genres.
- It also has wide collection of Epigraphy, Central Asian Antiquities, Anthropology, Pre-Columbian American and Western Art .
- The museum is an unparalleled blend of the glorious past and the wondrous present.
STATE OF ART TECHNOLOGY
- National Museum, New Delhi has always been at the forefront of adoption of State of the Art Technology in the museum sector.
- The museum has also digitized many of its objects for wider access.
- [wc_highlight color=”yellow” class=””]ALSO READ : “LIFE IN MINIATURE” PROJECT [/wc_highlight]
SCO ONLINE INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITION ON SHARED BUDDHIST HERITAGE LINKS
The exhibition can be accessed at https://nmvirtual.in/ for worldwide viewing.
INDIAN MUSEUM LINK – https://nmvirtual.in/India
RUSSIA MUSEUM LINK – https://nmvirtual.in/Virtual_Tour/Russia/
TAJIKISTAN MUSEUM LINK – https://nmvirtual.in/Virtual_Tour/CentralAsia/?id=TB
CHINESE MUSEUM LINK – http://public.dha.ac.cn/zhuanti/slmz/
PAKISTAN MUSEUM LINK – https://nmvirtual.in/Virtual_Tour/Pakistan/
KAZAKHSTAN MUSEUM LINK – https://nmvirtual.in/Virtual_Tour/CentralAsia/?id=KZ
NATIONAL MUSEUM,NEW DELHI : http://www.nationalmuseumindia.gov.in/en
SOURCES: PIB | SCO Online International Exhibition on Shared Buddhist Heritage | UPSC