Samvidhan Divas 2020 | UPSC
Constitution Day 2020
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 2 : Salient features of Indian Constitution : Preamble
For PRELIMS understand the significance of this day and why it is celebrated .
For MAINS go through Preamble once and try to define each word . Let us dive in !
- Constitution Day (or Samvidhan Divas), also known as National Law Da.
- It is celebrated in on 26 November every year to commemorate the adoption of the Constitution of India.
- The Government of India declared 26 November as Constitution Day on 19 November 2015 by a gazette notification.
- PM made the declaration on 11 October 2015 while laying the foundation stone of the B. R. Ambedkar’s Statue of Equality memorial in Mumbai.
- Previously this day was celebrated as Law Day.
- 6 November was chosen to spread the importance of the constitution and to spread thoughts and ideas of Ambedkar.
- Constitution Day is not a public holiday.
- Various departments of the Government of India celebrate the Constitution day.
- In addition, there were quiz and essay competitions both online and offline on the subject of the constitution of India.
- There are a lecture on salient features of the constitution in each school.
- The Department of Higher Education requested various universities to arrange mock parliamentary debates in colleges.
- The Ministry of External Affairs directed all overseas Indian schools to celebrate 26 November as Constitution Day.
- The work of translating the Indian constitution into Arabic has been completed.
- There are also a special session of Indian parliament on 26 November 2015 to give tribute to the constitution and Ambedkar.
- Since 2015 was the 125th birth anniversary year of B. R. Ambedkar (14 April 1891 – 6 December 1956).
- He is known as the father of the Indian constitution, the government decided in May 2015 to celebrate this year “in a big way”.
- A special committee chaired by Prime Minister of India was announced for year-long celebrations.
- Various programmes will be held by various ministries and departments throughout the year to spread thoughts and ideas of Ambedkar.
- In November 2015, the government officially announced celebration of the day.
- Constitution Day 2020 is being celebrated across the country today (November 26), to commemorate the day when the Constitution of India was adopted.
- The Constitution is a document that lays down the fundamental political principles, right, duties and gives power of the government.
SOURCES: PIB | Samvidhan Divas 2020 | UPSC