Sagarmala Seaplane Services (SSPS) | UPSC
Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways is kicking off ambitious Project of Sagarmala Seaplane Services (SSPS) with potential airline operators
WHY IN NEWS:
A Game- changer seaplanes services will facilitate faster and hassle-free travel across the country
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Transport : Ports
SAGARMALA SEAPLANE SERVICES (SSPS)
- “Sagarmala Seaplane Services (SSPS)” will be undertaken by forming a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) with Sagarmala Development Company Limited (SDCL).
- Several destinations are envisaged for seaplane operations.
- The proposed Origin-Destination pairs under Hub and Spoke model.
It include various islands of
- Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshadweep
- Guwahati Riverfront & Umranso Reservoir in Assam
- Yamuna Riverfront / Delhi (as Hub) to Ayodhaya
- Chandigarh and many other tourist places of Punjab & HP
- Mumbai (as Hub) to Shirdi, Lonavala, Ganpatipule
- Surat (as Hub) to Dwarka, Mandvi & Kandla; Khindsi Dam, Nagpur & Erai Dam, Chandrapur (in Maharashtra) and/or any other Hub & Spoke suggested by the Operator.
- The seaplanes services will be a game-changer providing a supplementary means of faster and comfortable transportation across the nation.
- Apart from providing air connectivity to various remote religious/tourist places, it will boost tourism for domestic and international holidaymakers.
- It will save travel time and stimulate localized short distance travelling especially in the hilly regions or across the rivers/lakes etc.
- Seaplane operations align with the vision of Hon’ble Prime Minister to improve connectivity across the nation and make India as an attractive destination for the tourists.
- By providing air connectivity to numerous remote, religious/tourist places and unexplored locations near the water bodies will make the journey easier.
- It will generate employment opportunities and stimulate tourism on these new locations, which will consequently contribute to the country’s GDP in the long run.
- Given the large and small waterbodies that dot the country, India provides an ideal opportunity for seaplane operations.
- Such projects provide faster and hassle free travel option for the long, treacherous and hilly regions of the country.
- Seaplane Service is already in operation between Kevadia and Sabarmati Riverfront in Ahmedabad, which was inaugurated by Hon’ble Prime Minister on 31st October 2020.
- SDCL is exploring plans to leverage the potential of the vast coastline and numerous water bodies/rivers across India by commencing seaplane operations.
- Sea Plane will utilize the nearby water bodies for take-off and landing and thus connect those places in a much economical way.
- The conventional airport infrastructure like a runway and terminal buildings are not required for seaplane operations.
SOURCES: PIB | Sagarmala Seaplane Services (SSPS) | UPSC