IASbhai Daily Editorial Hunt | 29th July 2020
“The number one reason people fail in life is because they listen to their friends, family, and neighbors.” –Napoleon Hill
EDITORIAL HUNT #109 :“RIC Triangle is Important ? “
RIC Triangle is Important ?
P.S. Raghavan, a former diplomat, is Chairman of the National Security Advisory Board.
RIC, a triangle that is still important
Calls for a westward shift in India’s foreign policy appear misplaced as engagement with Russia and China does matter
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 2 : IR
RIC dynamics are sensitive to the configuration of the U.S.-Russia-China triangle. Comment -(GS 2)
- Role and Agenda of RIC
- Changing Equations in Indo-Pacific Region .
The meeting reflected their divergent preoccupations.
- CHINA : China did not see the irony in his call for opposing bullying practices, rejecting power politics and supporting the rule of law in international relations.
- RUSSIA : Russia criticised unilateral coercive measures to settle scores with geopolitical rivals and topple regimes.
THE INITIAL YEARS
- MULTIPOLAR WORLD ORDER : The three countries were positioning themselves for a transition from a unipolar to a multipolar world order.
- U.S STAND : All three countries considered their relationship with the United States an essential prop to their global ambitions.
- SENTIMENTS : The RIC shared some non-West (as distinct from anti-West) perspectives on the global order, such as an emphasis on sovereignty and territorial integrity.
- IMPACT : Their support for democratisation of the global economic and financial architecture moved to the agenda of BRIC (with the addition of Brazil).
- INITIAL BOOST : The initial years of the RIC dialogue coincided with an upswing in India’s relations with Russia and China.
- STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP : The advent of President Vladimir Putin reinforced the political, defence and energy pillars of the India-Russia strategic partnership.
SUBTEXT TO INDIA-U.S. TIES
- SUDDEN BURST : India’s relations with the U.S. surged (rushed), encompassing trade and investment, a landmark civil nuclear deal .
- DIVERSIFICATION OF DEPENDENCE : The above deal met India’s objective of diversifying military acquisitions away from a near-total dependence on Russia.
- STRATEGIC SUB-TEXT : As China was rapidly emerging as a challenger to its global pre-eminence, the U.S. saw value in partnering with a democratic India in Asia.
- NEIGHBOURHOOD INFLUENCE : China went back on the 2005 agreement, launched the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor, worked to undermine India’s influence in its neighbourhood .
- PUSHBACK : Russia’s pushback against the U.S. included cultivating the Taliban in Afghanistan and enlisting Pakistan’s support for it.
THE INDO-PACIFIC ISSUE
ELEPHANT IN THE RIC ROOM #INDO-PACIFIC
- INDIA : Indo-Pacific is a geographic space of economic and security importance, in which a cooperative order should prevent the dominance of any external power.
- CHINA : For China Indo-Pacific initiatives are part of a U.S.-led policy of containing China.
- RUSSIA : Russia’s Foreign Ministry sees the Indo-Pacific as an American ploy to draw India and Japan into a military alliance against China and Russia.
TAMING THE ELEPHANT
- EXPANDING LINKS : India’s focus should be on economic links with the Russian Far East .
- DILUTING DOMINANCE : The interests in diluting Chinese dominance in the Indo-Pacific; this also accords with President Putin’s concept of a Greater Eurasia.
AUTONOMY OF ACTION
- INTENSIFIED MOVES : The current India-China stand-off has intensified calls for India to fast-track partnership with the U.S.
- QUEST FOR AUTONOMY : India’s quest for autonomy of action is based on its geographical realities, historical legacies and global ambitions — not a residual Cold War mindset.
“Transformations in the external environment impacts ongoing political equations.”
SOURCES: THE HINDU EDITORIAL | RIC Triangle is Important ? | UPSC