Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Power Project | UPSC
PM Shri Narendra Modi dedicated Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Power project to the Nation
WHY IN NEWS:
Solar energy will be a medium of energy needs of the 21st century because solar power is sure, pure and secure: PM
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Energy : Resources : Renewable Sources
For PRELIMS locate the beneficiaries on you map . Look at the output and compare this park with the leading solar parks of India.
For MAINS make a list of important inputs you need to set up a small roof top solar power panel .
REWA ULTRA MEGA SOLAR POWER PROJECT
- It is Asia’s largest power project.
- Rewa project will make the entire region a major hub for pure and clean energy in this decade.
- Madhya Pradesh would be the main centre of Solar Energy in India, as such major projects are in progress in Neemuch, Shajapur, Chattarpur and Omkareshwar.
DIFFERENT CATEGORIES OF OFF-TAKERS
- MPPMCL and Discoms (Licensed Utilities)
- DMRC (Open Access Consumer)
- Three tier payment security Mechanism – First time in India
- Largest solar power tender led by a State.
- No use of subsidy (Viability Gap Funding)
- World Bank funding first solar park in India.
- Prime Minister said Solar Energy would be a major medium for providing the energy needs of an aspirational India in the 21st Century.
- He described Solar Energy as one which is ‘Sure, Pure & Secure’.
- Prime Minister termed such Solar Energy projects are a true representation of Aatmanirbhar Bharat (Self-Reliant India).