Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar 2020
WHY IN NEWS:
Army Sports Institute, Pune has been identified and awarded with “Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar 2020” by Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports, Govt of India.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Sports
For PRELIMS focus on aim of this award and the categories . Forget numbers and just skim through eligibility .
For MAINS do you think more such awards should be initiated to foster sports culture in India ?
RASHTRIYA KHEL PROTSAHAN PURASKAR 2020
- The ultimate aim of this training is winningmedals at Olympics.
- The institute draws its sportsmen from the Army as well as from young raw and proven talent in ‘Boys SportsCompanies’ (8-14 years age).
- These sportsmen are supported by a team of Foreign, Indian coaches, physical conditioners and various other specialists.
- In Army Sports Institute the sportsmen have been the ‘Centre of Gravity’ and ‘Team ASI’ is constantly inspired by these human bodies endowed with discipline, dedication, determination and devotion.
The objective of the award is to encourage and promote involvement of corporates, voluntary organizations, sports control boards etc., in the promotion and development of sports in the country.
FOUR CATEGORIES OF AWARDS
(a) Identification and nurturing of budding/young talent
(b) Encouragement to sports through Corporate Social Responsibility
(c) Employment of sports persons and sports welfare measures
(d) Sports for Development
- Any corporate entity, public or private, sports control boardsand non-governmental organisation including sports bodies at state and national level will be eligible .
- The entity should have identified and nurtured at least 50 young and budding sportspersons each year during the last three years.
- The entities should have contributed a minimum of 5% of their gross profit for sports .
- Or else , an amount not less than Rs. 2 crore in the preceding three financial years towards sports promotion and development.
- Outlays meant purely for commercial purposes will not be counted towards this contribution.
NUMBER OF AWARD
There will he only one award every year for each category.
- Since raising the institute has enabled participation of twenty sportsmen in Olympics.
- The Institute has won six (06) Youth Olympic Medals, nineteen (19) medals in Asian Games .
- In the last three years itself, the sportsmen trained at ASI have won 450 International medals .
- In the last three editions of Khelo India, the sportsmen have won 125 medals in five disciplines.
- The success achieved is being done through igniting the minds to engage in ‘Big Thinking‘ coupled with ownership, perseverance and passion.
- The awards will consist of a citation and a trophy in each of the above-mentioned categories.
- The training philosophy at the Institute remains sports specific, scientific, individualized, focused, continuous monitoring, result oriented, progressive and accountable.
- Team ASI is headed in the right direction towards developing and demonstrating an explosive performance and winning laurels for the Nation.
- The Institute has made spectacular progress and given an inspired performance in International competitions.