Project Sampark | UPSC
Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh e-inaugurates six strategic bridges in Jammu & Kashmir
WHY IN NEWS:
It is apparent that there has been a major surge in outcomes delivered by the BRO in the last few years.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Defence
For PRELIMS we have mentioned the bridges in this article . Map them now !
For MAINS note down importance of these projects .
PROJECT SAMPARK : BRO
- This will also contribute towards the overall economic growth of remote border areas.
- These bridges of strategic importance were completed by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) in a record time.
OTHER BRIDGES CONSTRUCTED BY BRO
- UJH BRIDGE (1 KM LONG): This is the longest bridge constructed by BRO and was completed within scheduled time.It is located on Parole-Korepannu-Rajpura road over UjhNallah.
- BASANTAR BRIDGE : It has been constructed at a total cost of about Rs.41.7 crore. It is located on Rajpura–Madwal–Pangadur–Phulpur road .
- ZANSKAR BRIDGE : Zanskar Bridge on Road Nimmu-Padam-Darcha under Project Vijayak in Ladakh.
SUCCESS OF BRO
- BUDGETARY SUPPORT : This has happened because of adequate budgetary support from the Government and due to the effect of structural reforms and focussed/dedicated efforts by the BRO.
- RISE IN ANNUAL BUDGET : The annual budget of the BRO that varied from Rs 3,300 crore to Rs 4,600 crore in the FY 2008-2016, saw a substantial rise to Rs 8,050 crore in FY 2019-2020.
- INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS : With focus of the Government in improving infrastructure in border areas, the budget for FY 2020-2021 is likely to be Rs 11,800 crore.
- Roads and bridges are the lifeline of any nation and play a vital role in the socio-economic development of far flung regions.
- Roads in the border areas are not only strategic strengths, but also act to connect remote areas with the mainstream.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB | Project Sampark | UPSC