Prime Minister’s Special Scholarship Scheme (PMSSS) | UPSC
Maintenance allowance of Rs 20,000 to be released under Prime Minister’s Special Scholarship Scheme (PMSSS) by AICTE
WHY IN NEWS:
AICTE extends support to J&K and Ladakh students by releasing Rs 20,000 as maintenance allowance
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Schemes
For PRELIMS go through the aim , beneficiaries , exclusions in this scheme.
PRIME MINISTER’S SPECIAL SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME (PMSSS)
- An Expert Group was constituted by the Prime Minister on 18th August, 2010 in the context of enhancing employment opportunities among youths of UTs of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh.
- The plan was to formulate job plan involving public and private sectors.
- Scheme was started in 2011 and modified from time to time to make the scheme student friendly.
- The scheme envisages to build capacities of the youth of J&K and Ladakh to enable them to compete in the normal course.
- Scholarship is awarded to meet the expenditure towards Academic Fees and Maintenance Allowances (for hostel, mess, cost of books and other incidental charges) to candidates who are admitted through AICTE’s counseling process.
- Evolving guidelines for proper implementation of the scheme to fulfil the objectives.
- To Conduct Awareness Workshops about the Scheme.
- Disbursal of Scholarship for the eligible Candidates.
- Redressal of Grievances of PMSSS Candidates.
- Candidates having domicile of Union Territories of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh.
- Students must have passed 12th examination from JKBose or CBSE affiliated schools located in J&K and Ladakh in academic year 2018-19 or 2019-20 only.
- Candidates who want to take admission under Lateral Entry Scheme have to pass Diploma in Engineering from the Polytechnic Institutes in 2018-19 from the UTs of J&K and Ladakh.
- Admission under Lateral Entry Scheme will be subject to vacant seats available during academic year 2019-20 in Engineering Stream only.
- Common merit list will be prepared for the candidates passed HSC (10+2) examination in the academic year 2018-19 and 2019-20.
INSTITUTES / COLLEGES PARTICIPATING
- Admission will be offered to the candidates in selected pool of well performing institutions / colleges / universities, which are recognized by AICTE or approved by UGC.
- All AICTE approved institutions having at least 50% enrolment in the North and North-Western States .
- Under the Scheme, the youths of J&K and Ladakh are supported by way of scholarship in two parts namely the academic fee & maintenance allowance.
- The academic fee covers tuition fee and other components as per the ceiling fixed for various professional, medical and other under-graduate courses.
- In order to meet expenditure a fixed amount of Rs.1.00 Lakh is provided to the beneficiary and is paid in instalments @ Rs. 10,000/- per month directly into students account.
- AICTE has already released the entire academic fee for the year 2020-21 to all the institutions.
- The maintenance allowance had been fully released as per scheme guidelines till the end of last academic year 2019-20.
- The amount shall be released to all the beneficiaries pursuing classes in Odd Semester (July-December 20).
- The subsequent instalments shall be released once the students shall join physically at their respective institutions based on the verification of continuation certificate issued by the Institution.
SOURCES: PIB | Prime Minister’s Special Scholarship Scheme (PMSSS) | UPSC