Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) 2021 | UPSC
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) 2021
WHY IN NEWS:
The 16th PBD Convention is being held Virtually on 9 January, 2021 in New Delhi.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : Awards
PRAVASI BHARATIYA DIVAS
- The Conference aims at creating cultural bonds and an ecosystem for cultural propagation among the Diaspora.
- Indian Diaspora and various diaspora associations have played a very important role in the propagation of Indian culture in different parts of the world.
- This Conference would bring together eminent diaspora personalities and associations involved in propagation of Indian culture to discuss innovative ways of leveraging the Diaspora to enhance India’s soft power in this field.
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is celebrated once in every two years to strengthen the engagement of the overseas Indian community with the Government of India and reconnect them with their roots
- PBD Convention will have three segments, starting with the Inaugural Session.
- The winners of the online Bharat ko Janiye Quiz will also be announced.
- The finale would be the Valedictory Session where the Hon’ble Rashtrapatiji will deliver his Valedictory address to mark the occasion of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas.
The Inaugural session will be followed by the two virtual Plenary sessions where discussions between eminent diaspora experts will be held on themes–
(i) Role of Diaspora in Aatmanirbhar Bharat, and
(ii) Facing Post Covid Challenges – Scenario in Health, Economy, Social and International Relations.
- The names of the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awardees will also be announced during the Session.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards are conferred to select Indian diaspora members to recognize their achievements and honor their contributions to various fields both in India and abroad.
PRAVASI BHARATIYA SAMMAN AWARD
- The Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award is the highest honour conferred on a Non-Resident Indian, Person of Indian Origin
- The award is also given to an organisation or institution established and run by Non-Resident Indians or Persons of Indian Origin.
The award is given to those who have made significant contribution in :
- Better understanding of India abroad
- Support India’s causes and concerns in a tangible way
- Community work abroad, welfare of local Indian community
- Philanthropic and charitable work, etc.
During the PBD convention, select eminent Indian diaspora members are awarded the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards in the presence of Hon’ble Rashtrapatiji.
BHARAT KO JANIYE QUIZ
- The first edition of the online “Bharat ko Janiye” Quiz was organized for young overseas Indians and foreigners of 18-35 years of age in 2015-16.
- This was followed by the second edition of Bharat ko Janiye Quiz in 2018-19.
- This year, the third edition of Bharat ko Janiye Quiz 2020-21 has been held virtually from 30 September to 28 December 2020.
Five pre-PBD Conferences(including Youth PBD Conference) are being held virtually in 2020-21 in run-up to the 16th PBD Convention on the following themes :-
- Bringing together India’s Young Achievers & Diaspora (different regions of the world) Young Achievers from different walks of life
- Forging Media & Entertainment Partnership to showcase India @75
- Dialogue with Diaspora Business Leaders & CEOs – Targetting US$ 5 Trillion Atma Nirbhar Bharat Economy by boosting MSMEs
- Regional PBD – GCC -India Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
- Role of Diaspora in Promotion of Indian Culture
NUMBER OF AWARDS
HOW MANY BHARAT KO JANIYE (BKJ) WINNERS WILL BE INVITED?
- 15 Bharat ko Janiye (BKJ) Winners will be invited for Bharat ko Janiye Darshan after Covid.
- 16th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas Convention and pre PBD Conferences will be available for live stream on the PBD Official Website.
SOURCES: PIB | Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) 2021 | UPSC