Pradhan Mantri Kisan SAMPADA Yojana | UPSC
Pradhan Mantri Kisan SAMPADA Yojana (PMKSY): Projects likely to generate direct and indirect employment for 16,200 farmers
WHY IN NEWS:
2,57,904 farmers to benefit from the new cold chain projects: Harsimrat Kaur Badal
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Schemes
For PRELIMS go through aim , impact and funding pattern of this scheme .
For MAINS look at the components of the scheme . You can trace few of them directly to any Mains answers relevant to food processing . Remember Schemes should be quoted too !
PRADHAN MANTRI KISAN SAMPADA YOJANA
- The Ministry of Food Processing Industries is striving to establish an integrated and seamless network of strong Cold Chain Grid.
- The goal is to improve infrastructure for the uninterrupted transfer of perishables from production to consumption areas/centers.
- PMKSY is one such small step in the journey of self reliant India .
- PMKSY is a comprehensive package aiming to create modern infrastructure with efficient supply chain management from farm gate to retail outlet.
- PMKSY will supplement agriculture infrastructure.
- To modernise and expand existing food processing units with a view to increasing the level of processing.
- The scheme adds value leading to the reduction of wastage.
There are seven components under the scheme :
- Mega Food Parks.
- Integrated Cold Chain and Value Addition Infrastructure.
- Infrastructure for Agro-Processing Clusters.
- Creation of Backward and Forward Linkages.
- Creation/Expansion of Food Processing & Preservation Capacities.
- Food Safety and Quality Assurance Infrastructure.
- Human Resources and Institutions.
- The proposed scheme was to be implemented with an allocation of ₹6,000 crores for the period of 2016-20.
Under the Scheme, The Ministry provides financial assistance in the form of grant-in-aids :
- 35 percent for general areas.
- 50 percent for North-Eastern States, Himalayan States, ITDP Areas, and Islands for storage and transport infrastructure.
- The assistance at 50 percent and 75 percent respectively are also given for value addition and processing infrastructure subject to a maximum grant-in-aid of 10 crores per project.
- This is a boost to Government’s efforts towards bridging the gap in supply chain and building world-class cold chain infrastructure .
- PMKSY envisages the significance of Cold Chain, Value Addition and Preservation Infrastructure .
- The implementation of PMKSY will result in creation of modern infrastructure with efficient supply chain management from farm gate to retail outlet.
- This Integrated Cold Chain projects will provide a big boost to the growth of food processing infrastructure .
- This would also help in streamlining the agricultural supply chain, generate direct and indirect employment opportunities in rural areas.
- It will create huge employment opportunities especially in the rural areas.
- On other hand it will increase availability of safe and convenient processed foods at affordable price to consumers .
These benefits are vital for the economic security of farmers.
- In 2016, MoFPI introduced an umbrella Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters or SAMPADA.
- In 2017, SAMPADA was renamed as the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana (PMKSY).
The projects have been approved across the states of Andhra Pradesh (7), Bihar(1), Gujarat(2), Haryana(4), Karnataka(3), Kerala(1), MP(1), Punjab(1), Rajasthan(2), Tamil Nadu(4) and Uttar Pradesh(1).
- These projects with a grant-in-aid of 208 crores will help increase efficiency and sustainability in India’s food supply chain.
- It shall also act as a small step towards making India AtmaNirbhar/self-reliant in the fruits and vegetables sector.
- This would also help in streamlining the agricultural supply chain, generate direct and indirect employment opportunities in rural areas, provide better prices to farmers, end-users, and benefit allied sectors.