Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK)
Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram is being implemented in 1300 identified Minority Concentration Areas in the country: Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Scheme
For PRELIMS it is important to understand the significance and the objective of this scheme . Do not forget the ministry !
For MAINS what are the other viable approaches for socio-economic development of minorities ?
PRADHAN MANTRI JAN VIKAS KARYAKRAM (PMJVK)
- Out of various schemes by the Ministry of Minority Affairs, only one scheme namely Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK) is Centrally Sponsored Scheme.
- Prior to PMJVK, the Ministry implemented Multi-Sectoral Development Programme.
- The objective is to develop socio-economic infrastructure and basic amenities in the said areas.
- For larger coverage of the scheme, the areas under PMJVK have been increased from 90 Districts originally to 308 Districts of the country.
- These include 870 Blocks, 321 Towns and 109 District Headquarters.
- The areas under PMJVK, have been identified on the basis of minority population and socio-economic and basic amenities data of Census 2011.
- It will reduce the imbalances in the identified minority concentration areas to be at par with the rest of the country.
PARAMETERS FOR IDENTIFICATION
The backwardness parameters for minority concentration areas :
- Religion-specific socio-economic indicators at the district level
- Literacy rate
- Female literacy rate
- Work participation rate
- Female work participation rate
BASIC AMENITIES INDICATORS AT THE DISTRICT LEVEL
- Percentage of households with pucca walls
- Percentage of households with safe drinking water
- Percentage of households with electricity
- Percentage of households with latrine facility within the premise
- In case of non-gap-filling innovative projects, the fund sharing between Centre and State would be in the ratio of 60:40.
- Since 2014-15 to 2019-20, an amount of Rs. 291.14 crore has been allocated under the PMJVK scheme.
- Monitoring through Project Monitoring Unit (PMU) will be setup at the Centre.
- The IT Cells created at State level with Ministry’s funds will form an integrated part of the monitoring mechanism.
WHO ARE MINORITIES ?
- Muslims, Sikhs, Christians, Buddhists, Jain and Zorastrians (Parsis) have been notified as minority communities under the National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992.
- PMJVK is a special area development scheme designed to address the ‘development deficits’ identified by a baseline survey in these districts.