Table of Contents Hide
PM Cares For Children Scheme | UPSC
Government Issues Guidelines For PM Cares For Children Scheme
WHY IN NEWS:
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 29th May, 2021 had announced comprehensive support for children who have lost both their parents due to COVID 19 pandemic.
PM CARES FOR CHILDREN SCHEME
- The Scheme will Give Comprehensive Support For Children Who Have Lost Their Parents Due To COVID-19 Pandemic
- Also the scheme will enable their wellbeing through health insurance, empower them through education and equip them for self-sufficient existence with financial support on reaching 23 years of age.
- The PM CARES for children scheme inter alia provides support to these children through convergent approach, gap funding for ensuring education, health, monthly stipend from the age of 18 years, and lump sum amount of Rs. 10 lakh on attaining 23 years of age.
- The eligible children shall be enrolled from 29.05.2021 which is the date of announcement by the Prime Minister to 31.12.2021 to avail benefits of PM CARES for Children Scheme.
- The Scheme is expected to continue till the year when every identified beneficiary shall turn 23 years of age.
The eligibility criterion for the scheme will cover all children who have lost
i) Both parents or
ii) Surviving parent or
iii) legal guardian/adoptive parents/single adoptive parent due to COVID 19 pandemic, starting from 11.03.2020 the date on which WHO has declared and characterized COVID-19 as pandemic till 31.12.2021, shall be entitled to benefits under this scheme.
iv) Child should not have completed 18 years of age on the date of death of parents
THE ENTITLEMENTS UNDER THE SCHEME INCLUDE
SUPPORT FOR BOARDING AND LODGING
a) Efforts will be made by the District Magistrate with the assistance of Child Welfare Committee (CWC) to explore the possibility of rehabilitating the child within her/his extended family, relatives, kith, or kin.
b) If the extended family, relatives, kith or kin of the child are not available/not willing/not found fit by CWC or the child (aged 4 -10 years or above) is not willing to live with them, the child should be placed in foster care, after due diligence as prescribed under the Juvenile Justice Act, 2015 and rules made thereof as amended from time to time.
c) If the Foster family is not available/not willing /not found fit by CWC, or the child (aged 4 -10 years or above) is not willing to live with them, the child 1 Beneficiary/ Beneficiaries means eligible child beneficiaries under the PM CARES for Children Scheme.
d) Children more than 10 years old, not received by extended families or relatives or foster families or not willing to live with them or living in child care institutions after the demise of parents, may be enrolled in Netaji Subhash Chand Bose Awasiya Vidyalaya, Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya, Eklavya Model Schools, Sainik School, Navodaya Vidyalaya, or any other residential school by the District Magistrate, subject to the respective scheme guidelines.
e) It may be ensured that the siblings stay together, as far as possible.
f) For non-institutional care, financial support at the prevailing rates prescribed under the Child Protection Services (CPS) Scheme shall be provided to Children (in account with guardian).
ASSISTANCE FOR PRE-SCHOOL AND SCHOOL EDUCATION
a. For children below 6 years of age Identified beneficiaries will receive support and assistance from the Anganwadi services for supplementary nutrition, pre-school education/ ECCE, immunization, health referrals, and health check-up.
b. For children below 10 years of age
i) Admission shall be provided in any nearest school as a day scholar i.e. Government/ Government aided School/ Kendriya Vidyalayas (KVs)/ Private Schools.
ii) In Government Schools, two sets of free uniform and textbooks shall be provided, under Samagra Shiksha Abhiyan, as per the scheme guidelines.
iii) In private schools, tuition fees shall be exempted under section 12(1)(c) of RTE Act.
iv) Under circumstances where child is unable to receive above benefits, the fees, as per the RTE norms, will be given from the PM CARES for Children scheme.
FOR CHILDREN BETWEEN 11-18 YEARS OF AGE
- If the child is living with the extended family, then admission in the nearest Government/ Government aided School/ Kendriya Vidyalayas (KVs)/ Private Schools as a day scholar may be ensured by the DM.
- The child may be enrolled in Netaji Subhash Chand Bose Awasiya Vidyalaya/ Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya/ Eklavya Model Schools/Sainik School/ Navodaya Vidyalaya/ or any other residential school, by the DM, subject to the respective scheme guidelines.
- The DM may make alternative arrangements for accommodation of such children during vacations at CCIs or any appropriate place.
- Under circumstances where child is unable to receive above benefits, the fees, as per the RTE norms, will be given from the PM CARES for Children scheme.
ASSISTANCE FOR HIGHER EDUCATION
- The child will be assisted in obtaining education loan for Professional courses /Higher Education in India
- Under circumstances where beneficiary is unable to avail interest exemption from extant Central and State Government scheme, then the interest on the educational loan will be paid from PM CARES for Children Scheme.
- As an alternative, scholarship as per the norms will be provided to the beneficiaries of the PM CARES for Children Scheme from the schemes of Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Ministry of Minority Affairs, and Department of Higher Education.
- The scholarship awarded to the beneficiaries will be updated on the PM CARES for Children portal.
- All children will be enrolled as a beneficiary under Ayushman Bharat Scheme (PM-JAY) with a health insurance cover of Rs. 5 lakhs.
- It shall be ensured that the child identified under PM CARES for Children scheme receives benefits under PM JAY.
- The lump sum amount will be transferred directly in the post office account of beneficiaries upon opening and validation of the account of the beneficiaries.
- Children will receive monthly stipend once they attain 18 years of age, by investing the corpus of Rs 10 lakhs. The beneficiary will receive stipend till they attain 23 years of age.