OPERATION MERI SAHELI | UPSC
Indian Railways launches OPERATION MERI SAHELI
WHY IN NEWS:
Operation gathering momentum across all Zones
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : 3 : Society : Issues related to women : Railways
For PRELIMS go with the aim , focus and strategy of this initiative .
For MAINS to fetch more marks in MAINS just remember 182 tollfree number and this initiative . On a longer run this initiative will grow . Let us dive in !
OPERATION MERI SAHELI
- The RPF recently launched ‘Meri Saheli’ initiative for the security of female passengers during the train journey.
- Indian Railways has launched “Meri Saheli” initiative for focused action on security of women across all zones .
- “Meri Saheli” initiative taken for focused action on security of women travelling in trains.
- An initiative of RPF, the Strategy of the entails interaction with lady passengers.
- These lady passengers are briefed about all precautions to be taken during the journey and told to dial 182 in case they face or see any problem in the coach.
- The RPF team collects only the seat numbers of the ladies and conveys them to stoppages en-route.
- The platform duty RPF personnel at the stopping stations en-route keep unobtrusive watch over the concerned coaches and berths.
- If need arises duty RPF personnels will interact with the lady passengers.
- RPF teams at the destination collect the feedback from the identified lady passengers.
- The feedback is then analysed and corrective action, if any, is taken.
- If some distress call comes from a train covered under “Meri Saheli” initiative, the disposal of the call is monitored at the level of senior officers.
- Although it has been a while since the railways launched tollfree number 182 for women safety, many passengers are not aware of it.
- The “Meri Saheli” initiative was started as a pilot project in South Eastern Railway in September 2020.
- After getting encouraging response from lady passengers, it was extended to all zones and KRCL w.e.f. 17.10.2020.
- The team is will create awareness about safety measure in the railways.
- Selected women RPF staff under Hubballi division will be engaged in the initiative.
- The special teams are concentrating on long route trains and single lady passengers.
- If the passenger found any problem in the coach they will inform the team.
- This will create a secure feeling among the solo women passengers travelling in long routes.
The operation is gathering momentum.
SOURCES: PIB | OPERATION MERI SAHELI