Table of Contents Hide
Operation Blue Freedom | UPSC
Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Dr. Virendra Kumar flags off ‘Operation Blue Freedom’ to create a World Record at Siachen Glacier
WHY IN NEWS:
- Trained by a team of Armed Forces veterans, a team of people with disabilities undertakes an expedition till Kumar Post.
- Largest team of people with disabilities to reach the world’s highest battlefield in Siachen.
OPERATION BLUE FREEDOM
- On the occasion of 75thIndependence Day, Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment unfurled the national flag at Dr. Ambedkar International Centre, New Delhi.
- Participating in a series of events organised by Dr. Ambedkar International Centre, a premier autonomous research body mandated to research and provide policy feed to empower marginalised communities pioneered expedition ‘Operation Blue Freedom’.
- A team of people with disabilities from across the country undertook an expedition till Siachen Glacier to create a new World Record for the largest team of people with disabilities to reach the world’s highest battlefield.
- The team of people with disabilities, trained by ‘Team CLAW’, a team of Armed Forces veterans, undertook this expedition till Kumar Post (Siachen Glacier) to create a new World Record for the largest team of people with disabilities to reach the world’s highest battlefield.
- Recently, the Government of India had permitted a team of selected people with disabilities to scale Siachen Glacier.
THE DISABILITY PROBLEM
- Globally there are 1 billion people with disabilities, which is 15% of the global population.
- They face a lack of holistic rehabilitation, inadequate skilling, lack of seamless mobility and lack of suitable employment.
- Thus, their productive potential is largely untapped leading to global exclusion from mainstream life.
- A team of Indian Special Forces veterans, set upon a global mission to shatter the common perception of pity, charity and inability associated with people with disabilities and recreate it to one of dignity, freedom and ability.
- Through this journey, the team’s vision expanded to address the entire spectrum of issues faced by people with disabilities.
- Team C.L.AW is in the process of setting up centres across the globe where-in Special Forces Veterans and People with Disabilities are merging in action for creating a better life experience, for not only persons with disability but the non-disabled as well.
- This expedition is in the line of Prime Minister Shri Narender Modi’s vision for Divyangjan and Ministry of Social Justice Empowerment’s pursuit to harness the immense productive potential of people with disabilities.
- Simultaneously, it has also portrayed the skill and heart of India’s Armed Forces not only on the Battlefield but off it as well.