Nrityanjali Film Festival | UPSC
Films Division, Ministry of Information & Broadcasting has come up with yet another fiesta, ‘Nrityanjali’.
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : Festivals
For PRELIMS note the aim and significance of Film division of India .
For MAINS go through the Nātyaśāstra once !
- The first part of ‘Nrityanjali’ will showcase 10 films on the life and works of India’s leading classical dancers.
- India – a country of rich cultural heritage that fascinates the world with its diversity.
- Indian religions have shaped its culture.
- There has been fusion of cultures between different religions and tribal populations of India.
- It is believed that the origin of different Indian dance forms can be traced back to the age old Hindu Sanskrit texts .
- Gradually it evolved into the formal status of Eight classical dance forms.
THESE EIGHT CLASSICAL DANCE FORMS ARE
- Bharatnatyam of the state of Tamil Nadu,
- Kathak of Uttar Pradesh, Kathakali and
- Mohiniattam of Kerala,
- Kuchipudi of Andhra Pradesh,
- Manipuri of Manipur,
- Odissi of Odisha and
- Sattriya of Assam.
FILMS DIVISION OF INDIA
- Films Division of India was established in 1948 to articulate the energy of a newly independent nation.
- The organization has relentlessly striven to maintain a record of the social, political and cultural imaginations and realities of the country on film.
- It is the main film-medium organization of the Government of India .
- It is well equipped with trained film personnel, cameras, recording and editing facilities.
- This infrastructure is put to use to assist in-house as well as free-lance film makers and producers.
- In its archives, the Films Division of India holds more than 8000 titles .
- The festival will be streamed on Films Division website www.filmsdivision.org/Documentary of the Week.
- All films will be streamed live, simultaneously, for three days.