Table of Contents Hide
New Generation Agni P Ballistic Missile | UPSC
DRDO successfully flight tests New Generation Agni P Ballistic Missile
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Defence
NEW GENERATION AGNI P BALLISTIC MISSILE
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight tested a New Generation Nuclear Capable Ballistic Missile Agni P from Dr APJ Abdul Kalam island off the coast of Odisha, Balasore at 1055 hrs on June 28, 2021.
- Various telemetry and radar stations positioned along the eastern coast tracked and monitored the missile.
- Agni P is a new generation advanced variant of Agni class of missiles.
- Agni P is the first of the new class of Agni missile to be launched by DRDO.
- The ballistic missile weighs 50% less than Agni 3 and has new guidance and a new generation of propulsion.
- The missile, which has a range between 1000km to 2000km, can be used to target enemy armadas in the Indo-Pacific.
- Last Friday, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test-fired an extended range version of indigenously-developed Pinaka rocket at Integrated Test Range (ITR) in Chandipur off the coast of Odisha.
- That day, 25 Enhanced Pinaka rockets, which can destroy targets at distances up to 45 kilometres, were test-fired in quick succession against targets at different ranges on Thursday and Friday.
- The 122 mm Caliber rockets were also launched from a Multi-Barrel Rocket Launcher (MBRL).