NCAVES India Forum 2021
Natural Capital Accounting and Valuation of the Ecosystem Services (NCAVES) India Forum-2021
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 2 : 3 : Governance : Environment accounting
NCAVES INDIA FORUM 2021
- The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI), Government of India, has taken up several initiatives under the domain of “Natural Capital Accounting and Valuation of Ecosystem Services (NCAVES)”.
- Since the work related to environment accounting in India is still in its early stages, primarily because of the large number of subjects to be covered under this domain.
- There is a need for collaborative effort involving various stakeholders.
- This includes Line Ministries, state governments, multilateral organizations and research institutions for compiling a complete suite of accounts.
The objectives of the National Forum would be:
- To present India’s achievements in the domain of Natural Capital Accounting (NCA).
- To prioritize the emerging opportunities for NCA in India.
- To familiarize stakeholders with the work undertaken by the different international agencies in the area of NCA.
- To provide a platform to selected Research Institutions to present their research conducted in the valuation of ecosystem services.
- The NCAVES Project, funded by EU.
- India is one of the five countries taking part in this project – the other countries being Brazil, China, South Africa and Mexico.
- The participation in the project has helped MOSPI commence the compilation of the Environment Accounts as per the UN-SEEA framework.
- Several of these accounts are closely related to the social and economic attributes, making them a useful tool for the Policy.
- It will be based on about 80 studies conducted across the country.
- An additional benefit of this tool is that it provides a critical view on the literature that is available and the applicability of estimates spatially across India according to bio-geographical areas.
- In India, the NCAVES project is being implemented by the MoSPI in close collaboration with the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) and the National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC).
- MoSPI has coordinated with all the stakeholders through a consultative process by setting in place a mechanism for linking the diverse stakeholders concerned – namely producers and the policymakers using the environmental accounts.
KEY FOCUS AREAS
NCAVES India Forum 2021 is being organised in a virtual format, with live sessions on January 14, 21 and 28, 2021, focusing on:
- January 14, 2021: Efforts made by the international agencies in the domain of natural capital accounting and valuation of ecosystem services
- January 21, 2021: Policy Demand for NCA in India
- January 28, 2021: Achievements in natural capital accounting and valuation of ecosystem services and prospects of natural capital accounting in India
- A web portal www.ncavesindiaforum.in has been designed for the purpose of registration, participation and to function as a repository for the environment related information.
- The first day will witness participation of Ambassador of the EU Delegation to India and representatives from various national and international organisations.
- The Forum targets showcasing some of the important researches/work related to the environment through the online exhibition and the twitter poster session platform.