Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation (NIIO)
Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh Launches Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation (NIIO)
WHY IN NEWS:
Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh launched the Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation (NIIO) through an online webinar.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Defence
For PRELIMS go with the aim and categories mentioned below .
For MAINS nothing much here ! Let us dive in !
NAVAL INNOVATION AND INDIGENISATION ORGANISATION (NIIO)
- The NIIO puts in place dedicated structures for the end users to interact with academia and industry towards fostering innovation and indigenisation for self-reliance in defence.#AtmanirbharBharat.
The NIIO is a three-tiered organisation.
- Naval Technology Acceleration Council (N-TAC) will bring together the twin aspects of innovation and indigenisation and provide apex level directives. A working group under the N-TAC will implement the projects.
- A Technology Development Acceleration Cell (TDAC) has also been created for induction of emerging disruptive technology in an accelerated time frame.
- The Draft Defence Acquisition Policy 2020 (DAP 20) envisages Service Headquarters establishing an Innovation & Indigenisation Organisation within existing resources.
During the launch event, the Indian Navy signed Memorandums Of Understanding (MoUs) with:-
- Uttar Pradesh Expressway Industrial Development Authority (UPEIDA);
- Raksha Shakti University (RSU), Gujarat;
- Maker Village, Kochi; and
- Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM).
An online discussion forum for engaging domestic industry and academic institutes has been created in partnership with RSU and was launched during the webinar.