National Technical Textiles Mission 2020 | UPSC
The Government has approved the proposal for creation of National Technical Textiles Mission.
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Textiles
For PRELIMS nothing much except the timeline and schemes which are in focus .
For MAINS this is a very important issue . There will be a question on agriculture or textiles this year . Just remember Textiles are the most profitable form of agriculture ! Let us dive in .
NATIONAL TECHNICAL TEXTILES MISSION
DISTRIBUTION OF FUNDS
(i) For Research Innovation & Development – Rs. 1000 crores
(ii) For Promotion and Market Development– Rs.50 crore
(iii) For Education, Training and Skilling– Rs. 400 crore
(iv) For Export Promotion – Rs.10 crores and balance Rs.20 crores for administrative expenses.
- The focus of the Mission is for developing on usage of technical textiles in various flagship missions including strategic sectors.
- Alternatively , Jal Jivan Mission; Swachch Bharat Mission; Ayushman Bharat will bring improvement in cost economy and soil conservation.
- Agricultural productivity and higher income to farmers in addition to promotion of exports will be key focus areas.
- GEO-TEXTILES : The use of geo-textiles in highways, railways and ports will result in robust infrastructure, reduced maintenance cost .
- PROMOTION OF INNOVATION : Young engineering /technology/ science standards and graduates is proposed to be taken up by the Mission.
- START UP VENTURES : Creation of innovation and incubation centres and promotion of ‘start-up’ and Ventures’.
- BIO DEGRADABLE MATERIALS : A sub-component of the research will focus on development of bio degradable technical textiles materials, particularly for agro-textiles, geo-textiles and medical textiles.
- WASTE DISPOSAL : It will also develop suitable equipment for environmentally sustainable disposal of used technical textiles, with emphasis on safe disposal of medical and hygiene wastes.
- INDIGENEOUS PRODUCTION : There is another important sub-component in the research activity aiming at development of indigenous machineries in order to promote ‘Make In India’ .
- Six courses on for skill development in Technical Textiles sector have been on-boarded .
- These courses are in line with National Skills Qualifications Framework (NSQF) for providing training in the sector.
- The mission shall work for holistic development of entire technical textile sector on pan-India basis.