National Statistics Day | UPSC
“Statistics Day” to be celebrated on 29th June, 2020
WHY IN NEWS:
The Government has been celebrating the Statistics Day, to popularise the use of Statistics in everyday life.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : 2 : Awards : Event : Governance
For PRELIMS this is important . Go through theme significance , awards and the aim of this event .
For MAINS well if you have not scripted any answer on FELDMAN-MAHALANOBIS MODEL , then this is the right time . Let us dive in !
- It has been designated as one of the Special Days to be celebrated at the national level and is celebrated on the birth anniversary of Prof. P C Mahalanobis, on 29thJune, in recognition of his invaluable contribution in establishing the National Statistical System.
Statistics Day is to popularise the use of Statistics in everyday life and sensitise the public as to how Statistics helps in shaping and framing policies.
The theme of Statistics Day, 2019 was “Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)” and carrying this forward the theme of Statistics Day, 2020 is selected as :
- Every year, Statistics Day is celebrated with a theme of current national importance.
- The event runs for a year by way of several workshops and seminars, aimed at bringing about improvements in the selected area.
- It is expected that these events will raise public awareness, especially among the younger generation, about the role of Statistics in socio-economic planning and policy formulation.
- Along with the report, the Indian Statistical Services Cadre Management Portal will also be launched on 29thJune 2020.
- The Ministry recognises the outstanding contribution for high quality research work in the field of applied and theoretical statistics benefitting the official statistical system.
PROF. C. R. RAO AND PROF. P. V. SUKHATME AWARDS
- For 2020, the award winner for Prof. P. V. Sukhatme will be declared during the event.
PROF. P.C. MAHALANOBIS NATIONAL AWARD
- In 2019, the Ministry instituted a new award, namely, the Prof. P.C. Mahalanobis National Award in Official Statistics for recognizing outstanding achievement of official statisticians in Central Government, State Governments and Institutions.
- The Prof.P.C. Mahalanobis National Award winner, 2020 will be felicitated during the event.
PROF. P C MAHALANOBIS
- He was born on 29th June, 1893 in West Bengal.
- He was a scientist and applied statistician.
- Prof. P.C Mahalanobis is known as the father of Indian Statistics.
- He made pioneering studies in anthropometry in India.
- Also he was a member of Planning Commission and he gave the Two-sector Input-output model for the Second Five Year Plan (1956-61) which became famous as Nehru-Mahalanobis model or Basic Industry strategy of economic growth.
- He founded the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI).
We also have world statistics day ! This will be covered some other day .
WORLD STATISTICS DAY
- The day is celebrated every five years.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB | National Statistics Day | UPSC