National Portal for Transgender Persons | UPSC
Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot E-Launches ‘National Portal for Transgender Persons’ and E-Inaugurates Garima Greh: A Shelter Home for Transgender Persons in Gujarat
WHY IN NEWS:
Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot e-launched a ‘National Portal for Transgender Persons’ and e-inaugurated a ‘Garima Greh: A Shelter Home for Transgender Persons’ in Vadodara, Gujarat.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 2 : 3 : Bills : Recent Development : Portals
For PRELIMS go through the aim and significance of this portal .
For MAINS what are the issues with self recognition
NATIONAL PORTAL FOR TRANSGENDER PERSONS
- The most important benefit is that it helps the transgender person to get the I-Card without any physical interface and without having to visit any office.
- The issuing authorities are also under strict timelines to process the applications and issue certificates and identity cards without any necessary delays.
- Once the Certificate and I-card are issued, the applicant can download them from the Portal itself.
GRIEVANCES AND REDRESSAL MECHANISM
- This are forwarded to the concerned person and will be resolved at the earliest.
- The Issuing authorities through the Dashboard provided to them can view the number of applications received.
- The applications approved and the applications which are pending or put on hold so that they can take the required necessary action from their end.
- This portal will help a lot of people from the community to come forward and get Transgender Certificate and Identity Cards .
- It was is the first concrete step towards ensuring welfare of Transgender persons.
- It will be strengthened further in the coming days to act as a single point for the community to avail various welfare measures and benefits.
- Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment issued the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Rules, 2020 to implement the same.
- The Rules ensure that comprehensive welfare measures reach the Transgender Community and help them come into the mainstream of the Society.
- The process has been made smooth and hassle free to ensure that Transgender persons are able to attain their self-perceived identity card without any inconvenience.
Mr. Laxmi Narayan Tripathi, Member, National Council for Transgenders
- It will be run in association with Lakshya Trust, a Community based organisation entirely run by the Transgenders.
- The purpose of the Shelter Home is to provide shelter to Transgender persons, with basic amenities like shelter, food, medical care and recreational facilities.
- This will enable them to lead a life of dignity and respect.
- The Nodal Ministry has identified 10 cities to set up the 13 Shelter Homes and extend the facilities to Transgender persons.
- It will be in association with selected 13 CBOs in the country on pilot basis.
- The scheme will rehabilitate a minimum of 25 transgender persons in each homes identified by the Ministry.
- This is a pilot project, and on its successful completion, similar schemes will be extended to other parts of the country.
SOURCES: PIB | National Portal for Transgender Persons