National Energy Conservation awards (NECA) 2020 | UPSC
Indian Railways bags 13 awards at the ‘National Energy Conservation awards 2020’
WHY IN NEWS:
These awards have been given to Indian Railways’ zones and workshops for significant improvements in energy conservation by adopting various measures to promote energy efficiency
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : Awards
NATIONAL ENERGY CONSERVATION AWARDS (NECA) 2020
- The Ministry of Power, Government of India has launched a scheme in 1991.
- The aim was to give national recognition through awards to industries and establishments that have taken special efforts to reduce energy consumption while maintaining their production.
ACTIVITIES TAKEN UP
- BEE recognizes and encourages endeavours of industries in reducing energy consumption by felicitating them with National Energy Conservation Awards.
- BEE also awards prizes to the national winners of the annual National Painting Competition on Energy Conservation.
- The annual energy conservation awards recognize innovation and achievements in energy conservation.
- The award is given to the industries, buildings, zonal railways, state designated agencies.
- The scheme has motivated industry and other establishment to adopt energy efficiency measures.
- The awards were given away for the first time on December 14, 1991, which was declared as the `National Energy Conservation Day’.
- These awards are given by eminent dignitaries holding very high positions in the Government of India in a function organized on 14th December every year.
- In line with the previous years, the Ministry of Power, Govt. of India, has decided to organize the “National Energy Conservation Award 2020”.
- These awards have been given to Indian Railways’ zones and workshops for significant improvements in energy conservation by adopting various measures to promote energy efficiency.
- Indian Railways is committed to improve performance towards energy efficiency and clean environment in the coming years.
- The National Energy Conservation Day is being celebrated every year on December 14 since 1991.
- The Ministry of Power has launched the National Awareness Campaign in order to promote energy conservation in the country.
- Painting competition for students at the School, State and at National level has been included as one of the activities of the campaign.
SOURCES: PIB | National Energy Conservation awards (NECA) 2020 | UPSC