National Award to Teachers | UPSC
President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind to virtually confer the National Award to Teachers to 47 awardees on Teachers Day
WHY IN NEWS:
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind will virtually confer National Award to Teachers in New Delhi .
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : Awards
For PRELIMS go through eligibility criteria once and the selection levels .
For MAINS do you think teaching fraternity needs technical support for online mode of education ?
NATIONAL AWARD TO TEACHERS
- The purpose of National Awards to Teachers is to celebrate the unique contribution of some of the finest teachers in the country .
- Ultimately this award is to honor those teachers who through their commitment and industry have not only improved the quality of school education but also enriched the lives of their students.
REVISION OF GUIDELINES
- The guidelines National Award to Teachers were revised in the year 2018.
- This made the process online, transparent and three stage with inclusion of National level Jury.
- Online self-nomination from teachers on mhrd.gov.in
- All regular teachers eligible. No minimum years of service required.
- No State/UT/Organization quota for final selection.
- Final selection by Independent National Jury from amongst shortlisted candidates’ list received from States/UTs/Organizations.
- Number of awards rationalized to 45 (in addition, the Jury may select 2 teachers under Special Category for differently abled teachers etc.).
FIRST LEVEL SELECTION
- Self-nomination by teachers through online portal on www.mhrd.gov.in were invited.
- Based on prescribed selection criteria, DSC shortlisted 3 names and the same were forwarded to State Selection Committee through online portal.
SECOND LEVEL SELECTION
- The SSC evaluated all the nominations and recommended names of shortlisted candidates subject to the maximum number allotted to the States/UTs .
- The names are then forwarded to Independent National Jury through online portal.
- Jury reviewed the list of candidates as forwarded by States and Organisations and carries out fresh assessment.
- This year, the candidates appeared before the Jury through Video Conference and made presentations before the Jury.
- Jury selected 47 teachers.
- The selected awardees with their commitment and industry have not only improved the quality of school education .
- They also have enriched the lives of their students and community through various activities like improving enrolment .
- Teachers also focussed on organizing extra-curricular & co-curricular activities and spreading social awareness among children.
- Teachers also encouraged community participation, appropriate and effective use of ICT in teaching, promotion of nation building and national integration.