Nashamukt Bharat Campaign
Shri thaawarchand gehlot addresses through webcast a gathering of 272 district collectors & 31 state secretaries involved with ‘nashamukt bharat campaign’
WHY IN NEWS:
State governments & 272 district collectors to lauch “nasha mukt bharat” campaign on 15th august, 2020 which will run for 7 months till 31st march, 2021
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Drugs : Medicines : Campaigns
For PRELIMS we have to know the cause and reports relevant to such issues . Here you should focus on the substance abuse and the campaign .
For MAINS keep an eye on how the campaign is organised . Let us dive in .
NASHA MUKT BHARAT
- Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment launched “Nasha Mukt Bharat” campaign in the States and Districts.
- It was launched through a Webcast of NIC .
- ‘Nasha Mukt Bharat Campaign’ being implemented in 272 districts which are identified as most affected in terms of usage of substances.
- State Governments and the 272 District Collectors are going to launch the Nasha Mukht Bharat Campaign on 15th August 2020 which will run for 7 months till 31st March 2021.
- These 272 districts have been identified based on the inputs from Narcotics Control Bureau and the National survey done by the Ministry.
- The financial allocation of Rs. 43 crore in 2017 has been enhanced to Rs. 260 crore in 2020.
- This five fold enhancement shows that the government attaches great importance to this campaign.
- Narcotics Bureau has launching a three-pronged attack.Outreach/Awareness by Social Justice and Treatment through the Health Department.
The Campaign Plan has the following components:
- Awareness generation programmes.
- Focus on Higher Educational institutions, University Campuses and Schools.
- Community outreach and identification of dependent population.
- Focus on Treatment facilities in Hospital settings.
- Prevention has proven to be the most effective strategy to counter this problem.
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment being the Nodal Ministry for Drug Demand Reduction coordinates.
- It implements and monitors several interventions which include prevention, assessment of extent of the problem, treatment and rehabilitation of users.
- The Ministry is responsible for dissemination of information and generation of awareness among public.
- To assess the magnitude of the problem of substance use in the country, Ministry has done a comprehensive National Survey on Extant and Pattern of Substance Use .
- This will ascertain the proportion of Indian population using various substances and those affected by substance use disorders.
- The findings of the National Survey were published in the year 2019.