Mission Karmayogi 2020 | UPSC
Cabinet approves”Mission Karmayogi“- National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building (NPCSCB)
WHY IN NEWS:
New National Architecture for Civil Services Capacity Building
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 2 : Governance
For PRELIMS divide this article in three concepts : Mission Karmayogi , iGOT-Karmayogi and the SPV .
For MAINS this is the most important article of your civil services journey . Pay high amount of attention . It will serve you in Mains as well as Interview . Let us dive in !
- PM led HR Council to approve and monitor Civil Service Capacity Building Plans.
- Capacity Building Commission to harmonize training standards, create shared faculty and resources, and have supervisory role over all Central Training Institutions
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has approved launching of a National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building (NPCSCB).
In a nutshell NPCSCB will have following institutional framework:-
(i) Prime Minister’s Public Human Resources (HR) Council,
(ii) Capacity Building Commission.
(iii) Special Purpose Vehicle for owning and operating the digital assets and the technological platform for online training.
(iv) Coordination Unit headed by the Cabinet Secretary.
Mission Karmayogi 2020 | UPSC
- NPCSCB has been carefully designed to lay the foundations for capacity building for Civil Servants .
- And also learn from the best institutionsand practices across the world.
- The Programme will be delivered by setting up an Integrated Government Online Training-iGOT Karmayogi Platform.
- Aligning work allocation of civil servants by matching their competencies to the requirements of the post.
- To emphasize on ‘on-site learning‘ to complement the ‘off-site’ learning,
- To create an ecosystem of shared training infrastructure .
- To build and strengthen their Behavioral, Functional and Domain Competencies.
- To enable all the Central Ministries and Departments and their Organizations to directly invest their resources towards co-creation .
- To encourage and partner with the best-in-class learning content creators including public training institutions, universities, start-tips and individualexperts,
- To undertake data analytics in respect of data emit provided by iGOT- Karmayogi pertaining to various aspects of capacity building.
- It is also proposed to set up a Capacity Building Commission.
- Objective is to ensure a uniform approach in managing and regulating the capacity building ecosystem on collaborative and co-sharing basis.
THE ROLE OF COMMISSION
- To assist the PM Public Human Resources Council in approving the Annual Capacity Building Plans.
- To exercise functional supervision over all Central Training Institutions dealing with civil services capacity building.
- To coordinate and supervise the implementation of the Capacity Building Plans with the stakeholder Departments.
- To set norms for common mid-career training programs across all civil services.
- To suggest policy interventions required in the areas of HR Management and Capacity Building to the Government.
- iGOT-Karmayogi platform brings the scale and state-of-the-art infrastructure to augment the capacities of over two crore officials in India.
- Service matters like confirmation after probation period, deployment, work assignment and notification of vacancies etc. would eventually be integrated with the proposed competency framework.
- It needs qualities like constructive approach, imaginative, innovative, proactive, professional, progressive, energetic, enabling, transparent and technology-enabled civil servants.
- Empowered with specific role-competencies, the civil servant will be able to ensure efficient service delivery of the highest quality standards.
- To cover around 46 lakh Central employees, a sum of Rs.510.86 crore will be spent over a period of 5 years from 2020-21 to 2024-25.
- The expenditure is partly funded by multilateral assistance to the tune of USD 50 million.
- A wholly owned Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) for NPCSCB will be set up under Section 8 of the Companies Act, 2013.
- The SPV will create and operationalize the content, market place and manage key business services of iGOT-Karmayogi platform.
- The SPV will own all Intellectual Property Rights on behalf of the Government of India.
- An appropriate monitoring and evaluation frameworkwill also be put in place for performance evaluation of all users of the iGOT-Karmayogiplatform so as to generate a dashboard view of Key Performance Indicators.
- Capacity of Civil Services plays a vital role in rendering a wide variety of services.
- They are into implementing welfare programs and performing core governance functions.
- This will help in strengthening public institutions .
- A Public Human Resources Council comprising of select Union Ministers, Chief Ministers, eminent public HR practitioners, thinkers, global thought leaders and Public Service functionaries under the Chairmanship of Hon’ble Prime Minister .
- It will serve as the apex body for providing strategic direction to the task of Civil Services Reform and capacity building.