Minimum Age for Marriage of Girls ? | UPSC
Should minimum age for marriage of girls be raised to 21
WHY IN NEWS:
Recently, the Government of India constituted a committee to increase the age of marriage for girls to 21 years, from 18 years currently.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : Issues Related to Society : Women
For MAINS it is very important that you use anecdotes to express your thoughts . Here is one such short story of Mili . Let us dive in !
I AM MILI
Mili’s parents fixed her marriage when she was in Class 9. Nevertheless, Mili had a dream.
DREAMS AT THE EDGE
- Now in class 10, Mili wants to be a nurse.
- However, her family’s poor economic condition is an obstacle to this.
- Her father is a fisherman, who supports a family of six.
- Mili is the eldest among three sisters and a brother.
- There is a push factor for her early marriage because her parents feel that unless they get Mili married well in advance, it will be difficult to marry the younger two girls off on time.
- They fear that with the girls getting older, they will have to spend more for dowry.
- Her queries about teaching and the expenditure to be borne to [wc_highlight color=”yellow” class=””]become a nurse are yet to be addressed. [/wc_highlight]
- She is often apprehensive about the fulfillment of her dream, despite having strong determination.
- Many adolescent girls have similar aspirations.
- These have grown stronger considering the increasing presence and performance of women in the workforce.
- Most adolescent girls aspire to be educated, paid and exposed to the world.
- Then again, everyone is not that fortunate.
- Because of lack of opportunity and encouragement, many such aspirations get stifled early.
- Most of these marriages occur between the age of 14 and 18.
- Before completing their childhood, they become mothers of other children.
- Victims of child marriage are deprived of all kinds of child rights.
- Their access to education is stalled.
- Many of them face domestic and sexual violence.
- Because of severe anaemia and malnutrition, many die during pregnancy or delivery.
Hence, ensuring an enabling environment should be the need of the hour.
WHY IS THERE MORE EMPHASIS ON MARRIAGE
- Just a legal amendment to hike the age up to 21 will not work unless adolescents and youth are self-reliant.
- Adolescents do not have a platform to discuss sexuality and physical integrity yet.
- Increasing understanding of changes in body and mind during adolescence will be helpful in deciding on choosing a partner.
- This will automatically push the age of marriage.
- The courage to say no to child marriage will be more when an environment is created for girls to realise their dreams.
- This will encourage them to be innovative and do things differently.