MB Lal Committee Recommendations | UPSC
Assam fire: MB Lal Committee recommendations not implemented for a decade
WHY IN NEWS:
One of the recommendations, of building emergency response centres to handle major oil fires was to be completed in 2014
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Committee
For PRELIMS nothing much here except the aim of this committee .
For MAINS note key facts . This can be a mains question this year !
- An ERC would take 3-4 years to be set up and any incident during the intervening period might cause huge losses.
- The agency should be able to provide 24X7 emergency fire-fighting services, with advanced equipment.
MB LAL COMMITTEE KEY RECOMMENDATIONS :
The MB Lal committee was constituted following a fire incident in October 2009 at the IOCL terminal at Jaipur.
- It had nearly 118 recommendations with regard to safety guidelines to be followed by oil companies at their installations.
MOST IMPORTANT ARE HERE :
- DESCRIPTION OF THE INCIDENT
- SCENE AFTER THE EXPLOSION
- EVIDENCE AND DATA COLLECTION
- INCIDENT MODELLING
- OBSERVATION AND ANALYSIS
- REVIEW OF SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
- Till ERCs are set up, oil marketing companies (OMCs) including Indian Oil Corp Ltd (IOCL), Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd and Bharat Petroleum Corp Ltd (BPCL) should appoint an experienced agency on a temporary basis.
- According to the ministry, at least 94 per cent of the recommendations made by the MB Lal committee have been implemented.
SOURCES:THE HINDU | MB Lal Committee Recommendations | UPSC
DISCOVER MORE : Important GS-3 Articles